Author Topic: Evelyn Mavis (born Dyer -1919  (Read 2824 times)

Offline AlKeallz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Evelyn Mavis (born Dyer) -subiaco, WA 13/3/1919 adopted NSW?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 25 November 23 01:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for input, being new to this thought heading sufficient, i have modified heading and now providing further information.

Yes both Edna and Evelyn born whilst Ernest Dyer overseas. Lena kept both secret to her grave until I checked my mothers birth certificate where both were listed as previous issue. I got copy Evelyn's birth Cert. after 100 years rule in WA. Shows Ernest as father but not the case. Edna was adopted out in WA. have all her family history. no adoption records in WA for Evelyn.
as Lena returned to NSW in 1919 presume she adopted out Evelyn prior to Ernest return.
Lena returned to NSW and reunited with Ernest in 1919 and had two more daughters , Elsie 1921 and Elva 1923, my mother, Ernest died in 1925.
Lena brought up Ethel, Stan, Elsie and Elva on her own.
Alan

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: Evelyn Mavis (born Dyer -1919
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 25 November 23 05:12 GMT (UK) »
Have you or any of Ethel Stan Elsie or Elva s descendants taken DNA tests ?

If Evelyn s descendants test they would match
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline AlKeallz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 25 November 23 07:55 GMT (UK) »
I have recently sent off a DNA test and awaiting results. hope this may give a further search area.

also I had contacted NSW adoption agency but they have no results as did not start recording adoptions until 1923. before then there were private adoption groups which are hard to track down.

it has been difficult to get a lead on Evelyn as not knowing her adopted surname or if married, her married name makes searching hard.
it is this reason I have joined Rootschat hoping for some type of contact. it would be great to just know how she fared.

my other adopted Aunt Edna was pleased to have found her birth mothers family and her and my families have met and correspond.

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Evelyn Mavis (born Dyer) Subiaco- 13th March 1919, Adopted NSW?
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 25 November 23 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Lena kept both secret to her grave until I checked my mothers birth certificate where both were listed as previous issue.

I wouldn't say she kept it a secret if she had them listed as previous issue. Appears to me Ernest would have known and also at any time your mother could have obtained her birth cert. and would have seen them listed. Most likely just wasn't spoken about at all.

Offline AlKeallz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 27 November 23 03:23 GMT (UK) »
sorry to correct you. Lena ensured that neither Ernest or her parents knew about either Edna or Evelyn. i have a letter written by Lena to adoption agency in WA asking that the adoption be kept private as she did not want Ernest or her parents to know.
My mother nor her siblings had no knowledge of them until Edna located her birth mother via freedom of information for adoptees and this was not until 1988 when she approached Lena's oldest Daughter Ethel and finally caught up with all of her lost family, mainly in NSW. Edna then travelled to WA to meet my mother who had lived in WA since 1955, her youngest half sister.
My mother was never interested in family history and it was not until Edna had visited and Mum had to get a copy of her birth certificate from NSW which I obtained for her that we found out about Evelyn as previous issue along with Edna.
So the sum up, both Edna and Evelyn were unknown to any of Lena's families and Edna only after her finding us.
I have Edna's family history but still know little of Evelyn except her birth cert. details.

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 27 November 23 12:22 GMT (UK) »
just to muddy waters I noticed a Doris Evelyn Mavis Dyer on Australia Electrol roll for 1941/3 in Carrington but nothing else for her  have you looked at this at all
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 27 November 23 16:00 GMT (UK) »
just to muddy waters I noticed a Doris Evelyn Mavis Dyer on Australia Electrol roll for 1941/3 in Carrington but nothing else for her  have you looked at this at all

DYER was her married name.
She is on the same electoral rolls with her husband Wallace Ross DYER.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/201800966/doris-evelyn-dyer

Offline AlKeallz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 28 November 23 02:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for information. I will look into this but it seems highly unlikely.
as an aside I have looked at both Lena and Ernest' death certificates and noted as still living children are Ethel, Stanley, Elsie and Elva and 1 deceased Jack. No mention of either Edna or Evelyn.
The mystery of Evelyn Mavis still remains.

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 28 November 23 05:01 GMT (UK) »
sorry to correct you.

Im sorry if i offended you in any way that was not my intentions at all. I was thinking that if Lena didn't want anyone to know about the 2 girls why did she note them on a birth cert. as if your mum or her sister applied for their birth certificates when they were young they would have seen the 2 adopted girls noted.
Sorry i should put brain in gear before typing and maybe word things differently.

Do you have a date of birth for Evelyn? And was she born at home or in hospital?