Author Topic: Query Catherine Forbes.  (Read 215 times)

Offline Girlfriday

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Query Catherine Forbes.
« on: Thursday 23 November 23 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Looking.for help. My 2nd great grandparents Were Kenneth MacKenzie b 1821 in Lochbroom died after 1921 in Loch Broom
.He married my Grandmother Catherine Forbes b 1818 d 1885.Born in Loch Broom Married in 1851 in Loch Broom .They had a daughter Catherine  b  3rd Sept 1857 in Blar of Ullapool .She died in 1958 of bronchitis as certified by.doctor. The problem is I have found another Kenneth Munro b 1819 he died on the 31st of May 1893 .buried in Clachan Cemetery. He Married a Catherine Forbes who died in 1857. They have a daughter Catherine Forbes born in the 3rd of.September  1857 She died on the 4th of March 1946 Buried in Fodderty Cemetery .She Married Alexander MacLeod b 1852 he died 8th May 1939 At Duran Cottage Achterneed. Don't know who the.Catherine Forbes was who died in 1857. Thanks for any help . Apparently all the Forbes  Family  were related to one another .Thanks for any help.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Query Catherine Forbes.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 November 23 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Can you check the dates you have given please

If Kenneth was b 1821 & died “sometime after 1921” he was over 100yrs old so have you found him on the Scottish 1911 census?

You say daughter Catherine was born in 1857 - died 1958 (101yrs old) then mention a daughter Catherine who died 1857?

Have you downloaded the various BMD certificates for the people you mention to determine parentage etc?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Girlfriday

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 November 23 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Should have been after 1901 for.Kenneth .Definitely two different Catherine Forbes and two different Catherine Munri's .My.Catherie died in 1858. Am trying to find who were the parents of the Catherine Forbes who died in 1857

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 November 23 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Haven’t you downloaded the 1857 death cert which will give her parents names?

Who is “Catherine Munri”. Do you mean Munro?  Where does Munro fit in with Forbes & MacKenzie?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 November 23 17:09 GMT (UK) »
MACKENZIE   KENNETH   92   STEWART   M   1913   LOCHBROOM

MUNRO   CATHERINE   100   MUNRO   F   1857   ROSSKEEN

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 November 23 17:52 GMT (UK) »
I am afraid I am finding your original query a bit confusing. I think you have got two different Kenneth Munros muddled up.

From the indexes at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk:

There is a marriage of Kenneth Munro to Catherine Forbes on 8 December 1851 in Lochbroom

There is a birth of a Catherine Munro, mother's surname Forbes, in Lochbroom in 1857, and a death of Catherine Munro, mother's surname Forbes, in Lochbroom in 1858, aged under 1 year. Not in 1958.

There is no record of the death of a Catherine Forbes in Ross and Cromarty in either 1857 or 1858.

Catherine Munro, other surname Forbes, mother's maiden surname Mackenzie, died in Lochbroom in 1885, aged 78.

Kenneth Munro, mother's surname Mackenzie, died in Lochbroom in 1893, aged 78.

You say that you have two couples of the same names, both of whom had a daughter Catherine born in Lochbroom on 3 September 1857. Frankly, I think that is extremely unlikely.

There are two marriages of Alexander MacLeods to Catherine Munros, one in 1887 in Kiltearn and one in 1923 in Dingwall. I suggest that you go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, invest in a few credits and see what the 1887 one tells you.

There are numerous deaths of Catherine M(a)cLeods with other surname M*nr*. There is only one in 1946, in Haymarket in Edinburgh.

There is a death of an Alexander Macleod, aged 85, in Fodderty in 1939.

In the 1891 census, somewhere in Lochbroom, are Kenneth McLeod, 70; son Alexander McLeod, 36, daughter Catherine Mcleod, 34, and son Angus, aged 1. Angus Macleod, mother's maiden surname Munro, was born in Lochbroom in 1889.

In 1901 they are in Resolis; Alexander MacLeod, 50; wife Katty, 43; Angus, 11; Kenneth, 9; Katty, 8y; Jessie, 6; Kenneth J, 2; and Ann Munro, mother-in-law, widow, 78.

I think you will find that Alexander MacLeod's wife was the daughter of Kenneth Munro and Ann Mackenzie, and that she was born in Lochbroom in 1856.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Girlfriday

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 November 23 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for clearing that up .Thought that they're couldn't  be two Catherine Munro's with the same.birthday . Catherine did die in 1857 .Don't know why I put 1858 . Someone has put the wrong information  On Find a grave for the Catherine Munro that married Alexander MacLeod .Thanks again

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 November 23 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Catherine did die in 1857 .Don't know why I put 1858 .

Because 1858 is actually correct.

There are four Catherines in this story

1. Catherine Forbes, wife of Kenneth Munro, died in 1885

2. Catherine Munro, daughter of above, born 1857, death registered in 1858.

3. Catherine Munro, wife of Alexander MacLeod, born 1856, still alive in 1901

4. Catherine (Katty) MacLeod, daughter of above, still alive in 1901.

Someone has put the wrong information  On Find a grave for the Catherine Munro that married Alexander MacLeod .
Not unusual. Hence my signature line.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Girlfriday

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 November 23 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the help. Query has been answered.