Author Topic: James Mulgrue, Sligo  (Read 191 times)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
James Mulgrue, Sligo
« on: Thursday 23 November 23 11:59 GMT (UK) »
James was the father of George Mulgrue, who was born c 1843 in Sligo, according to UK census records.  Although I know quite a lot about George and his descendants, I only know from later censuses that George was born in Sligo, but not whether this was the city or county of that name.  He left Ireland to serve with the East Indies Company and never returned, spending the later years of his life in England. 

I'm really looking for a birthplace for George, as my nephew will shortly be visiting Ireland and would like to see his ancestor's birthplace.  Can anyone help, please?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Mulgrue, Sligo
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 November 23 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Did George marry Lucy Wilkins?

There is a Birmingham marriage 1883 at St Martin
George Mulgrue 39 yrs Widower Sgt in 6th Royal Warwickshire Regt -father, James, a Farmer.

If that is him, there is a likely a Fold 3 record (paysite) with birthplace, Drumcliff, Sligo
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 November 23 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Yes, this our George.  He married for the first time while he was serving with the East India Company army , and Lucy was his second wife.  His children from the first marriage are given either as India or as East Indies as their place of birth in the census. He returned to England after the death of his first wife and lived and died in the Birmingham area.

I don't really understand your reference to  the Fold 3 site, but that's a really useful mention of the Drumcliff birthplace. How would I find this?

Thank you so much for your help.

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 November 23 15:06 GMT (UK) »

...but that's a really useful mention of the Drumcliff birthplace. How would I find this?

Adding the following information about Drumcliff (https://www.townlands.ie/sligo/drumcliff/)-

Drumcliff Glebe townland in the civil parish of Drumcliff. However he may have been born in one of the other townlands.
https://www.townlands.ie/sligo/carbury/drumcliff/drumcliff-west/drumcliff-glebe/

https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/2957603#map=12/54.3045/-8.4825
(Drumcliff Glebe about 7-8 km north of Sligo town on N15)

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 November 23 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry shows some military record indexes but the records are then through Fold3. https://www.fold3.com/

I see that Find My Past also shows records for the same man.

I haven’t yet seen a reference to Mulgrue in Sligo.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 November 23 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much.