Author Topic: Extra Pair of Eyes/Help Needed Please (TURNER- Sheffield-Ottawa)  (Read 636 times)

Offline Jan Ann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I Know,If I Get to the Core then Answers R There!
    • View Profile
Extra Pair of Eyes/Help Needed Please (TURNER- Sheffield-Ottawa)
« on: Thursday 23 November 23 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Long time since I've been on here, so be gentle!

I'm searching for information on the Turner Family, originally from Sheffield, Eng. Last known whereabouts Ottawa, Ontario.

Alice Turner (nee Bowers) born 1871 Sheffield, wife of John Thomas Turner, is seen on the 1911 Canadian Census, residing with her sister Lucy Stille (nee Bowers) and her husband and family

DETAILS: Ottawa City, Carleton, Ontario, Canada: Stille, Frederick C, Head, Born Sept 1879, aged 32, Born England, Civil Servant; Lucy Stille, Wife, Born Aug 1875 aged 36, Born England; Ellen Mabel Stille, Daughter, born Jan 1905, Ontario; Wilhelmina Stille, Daughter, aged 1907, aged 3, Born Ontario; Frederick Stille, Son, born Oct 1908, aged 2, Born Ontario; Winifred Stille, Daughter, Born Feb 1911, Ontario; Frederick W Bowers, Father, Widowed, born Nov 1845, aged 66, Born England; Alice Turner, Sister, Single, born Sept 1872 aged 39, Born England:

Lucy emigrated 1903, Alice is on a ship manifesto 1907, their father Fred W Bowers 1911

Alice and her estranged husband had one son John Thomas Turner born 1896 Sheffield. I havent found him on a ship's list going to Canada yet, but in 1917 he attested for the Canadian forces, listing himself as single, and his address was in Charleston, MA, USA. His NOK was listed as his mother Alice Turner, address 33 Dufferin Rd, New Edinburgh, Ottawa.

The next siting I have of John Thomas Junior was in a ship's list returning to Canada from England, in 1927, he is listed with his wife Emily Emelia (surname unknown) born c1894 Sheffield, and a daughter Phyllis Patricia born c1921 Ottawa, their returning address is listed as (what I decipher) as 434 Laurier Ave, Ottawa.  Their last address/relative in England is listed as Father, Mr ???? (Furness ?) 393 Manor Lane, Sheffield - see image attached, its a bit blurry.  ::) If anyone has a different view of the names/addresses, let me know

In 1921 & 1931 I found Alice working as a widowed Housekeeper for Thomas O Workman and his daughter. 

I cant find John, Emily Phyllis in 1931 Census, nor the address listed in 1927, or any other trace of them, Phyllis was born in Ottawa C1921, cant find a birth for her and I am struggling to find wife Emily's surname pre marriage, or their marriage in England/Canada. 

Can anyone help or point me in some direction of resources. I have plenty of Information on Lucy Stille nee Bower so not looking for that, just more on Alice and her son and his family.

Many thanks in Advance
Cheers
Jan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

TIVEY, WILDE,
Alker, Barmore, Birchall, Bird, Bryan, Chant, Clare,  Crump, Dow, Edwards, Fairbrother, Faulkner, Frearson, Frogson, Glew, Halliday, Heathcote, Hesford, Holliday, Jones, Knight, Massey, Mather, McKenna, Mee, Melling, Neal, O'Brien, Ottewell, Pimblett, Pinks, Price, Quinn, Rampling, Richards, Richardson, Rowley, Royle, Shakespeare, Shaw, Sheldon, Tandy, Thompson, Wade, Walker,  & more!

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Extra Pair of Eyes/Help Needed Please (TURNER- Sheffield-Ottawa)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 November 23 13:40 GMT (UK) »
John Thomas Turner aged 40 married , " to wife", born England, dest. Ottawa. Ont. Coachman , intended occupation Railway Works
John Thomas Turner aged 18 single , " to mother " born England , dest. Ottawa , Groom.

Departure Liverpool, Arrived 21 May 1913 Quebec , Vessel Megantic.

The words " to wife" and " to mother " are entered in a column intended for details of previous visits to Canada but used on this manifest to indicate to whom the traveller is going.

Do these two match  your family ?
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jan Ann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 November 23 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christine

In 1901 John Thomas Snr was an Engineers Carter born c1871 - I assumed he was estranged from Alice as she is listed as single on the 1911 census, then a widow in 1921 and 1931.

I wonder if John Snr was in MA, US in 1917 working on the railroad when John Jnr enlisted in 1917?

I will check USA records for a death/census in 1915 for them both, just in case.

Thank You  :-*
Jan Ann

TIVEY, WILDE,
Alker, Barmore, Birchall, Bird, Bryan, Chant, Clare,  Crump, Dow, Edwards, Fairbrother, Faulkner, Frearson, Frogson, Glew, Halliday, Heathcote, Hesford, Holliday, Jones, Knight, Massey, Mather, McKenna, Mee, Melling, Neal, O'Brien, Ottewell, Pimblett, Pinks, Price, Quinn, Rampling, Richards, Richardson, Rowley, Royle, Shakespeare, Shaw, Sheldon, Tandy, Thompson, Wade, Walker,  & more!

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 November 23 14:39 GMT (UK) »
There is a card showing Patricia crossing to the US with her mother , going to her father John Thomas Turner at 199 Harvard Street East Cambridge Massachusetts in 1928 :

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-9981-47BS-G?i=1597&cc=2185163&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AQK3R-FTK2

Here is the family on the 1930 US census :

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XQGR-8FV

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 November 23 14:46 GMT (UK) »
I think Phyllis is with her father and Grandmother in 1940 in Massachusetts :

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L9M1-4VRT?view=index&personArk=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AK4V6-8CR&action=view

The form appears to say that Alice is John's wife , but looking at the ages that is incorrect.

Offline Jan Ann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 November 23 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christine

Thanks so much for your help, I'll concentrate the search for them in the US, see if I can find anything.

Just the surname of Emily Emelia?marriage to John Jnr and the Birth of Phyllis to figure out.

Gratefully appreciated.

Cheers
Jan Ann

TIVEY, WILDE,

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 November 23 15:22 GMT (UK) »
There is an obituary for John Thomas Turner. Basic details are on Ancestry but a sub to newspapers.com is required to look at the original :

John T Turner
b 7 Mar 1896
Sheffield
Married 28 Sep 1941
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Died 1966
Obituary date 17 Jan 1966
Poughkeepsie Journal
Parents : John T Turner , Alice Bowers Turner
Spouse : Gladys Backman
Daughter: Phyllis O Rough Unn

This indicates a second marriage and a marriage for Phyllis - her name doesn't make sense but I've typed what the transcript says.

Someone with a sub to newspapers.com will be along, I'm sure.

Edit : Phyllis appears to be Phyllis O'Roughlinn - thanks to Sandra for the link to the article.

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 November 23 15:27 GMT (UK) »

Great finds Christine.  :)

Poughkeepsie Journal
Poughkeepsie, New York 
Mon, 17 Jan 1966 Page 14

https://www.newspapers.com/article/poughkeepsie-journal/135644316/

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Jan Ann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 November 23 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much Sandra & Christine - making progress!

I think Ive found a grave for Alice and her daughter in law Emily.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/164023720/alice-turner

Cheers
Jan Ann

TIVEY, WILDE,