Author Topic: Can a priest reside outside his parish?  (Read 1301 times)

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can a priest reside outside his parish?
« on: Thursday 23 November 23 12:53 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering if there was any church law that a priest should live inside his parish.

Anyone know what the practice was?

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Can a priest reside outside his parish?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 November 23 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Historically Priests would have tenure in one parish. 

The Code of Canon Law favors the stability of a parish pastor, making it a law that pastors are to be assigned for an “indeterminate” amount of time.

These days with the shortage of priests such rules would probably not apply however it would be determined by the local Bishop.
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 November 23 15:03 GMT (UK) »
I appreciate this is on the Ireland forum.
In the Church of England it wasn't uncommon, especially with the more lucrative livings. A priest might have more than one parish, take the income from them, and live elsewhere, employing curates to do the work. These days incomes are much smaller!
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 November 23 05:05 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering if there was any church law that a priest should live inside his parish.

Anyone know what the practice was?

Not all priests were or are equal!
A parish priest had security of tenure. A curate did not.

OP's question is in the present tense, but I have a feeling this is really an historical question about the 17th/18th C? Would be useful to state that, as modern conditions are different. These days there are church owned parochial houses in every parish, and clergy are expected to reside in them.

Historically, I don't believe priests were technically required to live in their parishes (?), but having the "cure of souls" they should necessarily have lived close by, if not actually in residence.
On the other hand, I think there is a canon that secular clergy have to live in the diocese to which they belong.

There was considerable scandal in the CofI (perhaps controversy might be a better word), in the 18th and 19th centuries because of nonresident clergy (and bishops too IIRC). Residence was the norm for Catholics. That said, during the height of the penal law period, norms obviously had to be dispensed with - literally so.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 November 23 12:31 GMT (UK) »
@Wexflyer
I have a feeling this is really an historical question about the 17th/18th C?
Correct, I should have stated that.

One man I was wondering about in particular was an elderly parish priest, who died in the late 18th century and was buried in a parish that was not even adjacent.

He can be identified definitely because the stone was erected by another priest from the parish (with the same surname), who gave his own church.

I am wondering about what that would most likely mean.  That he had been reassigned there?  Or somehow died there - perhaps at a sort of home for priests?  Or that it was his native parish?
____
Some words or terms that I find a bit confusing:
"His substitute" referring to another priest on the 1697 return.  (I wonder whether this would imply that a priest had more than one parish, and was absent at times.  The return does not survive for the vast majority of Ireland, outside of Dublin and its very near environs)

"Mensal parish."  This is a term that I believe I have only seen in interpretive notes, relating to a portion of the 1697 return.  But I wonder if it would only mean where a Catholic bishop resides, or if there is some implication that he may have also resided at a second parish, at times.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 November 23 20:05 GMT (UK) »
@Wexflyer
I have a feeling this is really an historical question about the 17th/18th C?
Correct, I should have stated that.

One man I was wondering about in particular was an elderly parish priest, who died in the late 18th century and was buried in a parish that was not even adjacent.

He can be identified definitely because the stone was erected by another priest from the parish (with the same surname), who gave his own church.

I am wondering about what that would most likely mean.  That he had been reassigned there?  Or somehow died there - perhaps at a sort of home for priests?  Or that it was his native parish?
____
Some words or terms that I find a bit confusing:
"His substitute" referring to another priest on the 1697 return.  (I wonder whether this would imply that a priest had more than one parish, and was absent at times.  The return does not survive for the vast majority of Ireland, outside of Dublin and its very near environs)

"Mensal parish."  This is a term that I believe I have only seen in interpretive notes, relating to a portion of the 1697 return.  But I wonder if it would only mean where a Catholic bishop resides, or if there is some implication that he may have also resided at a second parish, at times.

You have specific people in mind, but I think your query can only be answered in generalities.

In more modern times, priest tend to be buried in their churchyards, or in separate clergy plots.

Back then though, there were no Catholic churchyards, so that was not possible.

In my case, where I know that an early period priest was a family member, and I also know where he was buried, then they were all buried in family graves, viz:

Rev William Brennan 1790-1846, PP New Ross, buried Ballybrennan, Bree, with family.
Rev. Thomas Brennan ?-1775, PP Bree, buried Whitechurch, Glynn, with family
Rev. Malachi Brennan, 1798-1866, PP Taghmon, buried Whitechurch, Glynn, with Fr Thomas, his great-grand uncle.

None of these three were buried in the parish of which they were pastor. Note -  two separate Brennan families.

Mensal parish - a parish of which the bishop (or perhaps also VG) is formally the pastor. It does NOT mean the bishop necessarily resides there. Usually he does not, it is simply providing financial support for his upkeep. As the bishop is only formally the pastor, that means there has to be someone in his stead  - these days termed the Administrator (Admin), but I can imagine that he might have been termed a surrogate in times past?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 November 23 23:38 GMT (UK) »
@Wexflyer
Thanks, those are interesting examples!

I only know something about one priest:

Rev. Andrew Duggan 1803-1836

Died in Carlow, during a cholera epidemic, after tending the sick.  Thousands went to his funeral, and his grave and family home became a place of pilgrimage.

Buried very near to his family home in the graveyard at Carrick-Oris, which is about 56 km from where he died.  Same diocese, but not same county.  Think he was buried in his native parish.  At least very near to his family home.

I never saw the tombstone, so I am not sure that I ever saw the full inscription, or if anyone is buried in the same grave, but I do know his brother erected the stone and is buried in the same cemetery.

I was under the impression that the term 'mensal parish' has a different meaning for Catholics than Church of England.  But, perhaps, it originally meant the same thing?  Or I am wrong about it.

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 November 23 23:47 GMT (UK) »
By the way, does anyone know if there is any logic to the location of the parish of a vicar?

Do they try to put a vicar in a certain place?  Or is it just a random place in the diocese?  Maybe, where a parish priest received a promotion, to become vicar because he was seen as a suitable candidate.

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 November 23 01:06 GMT (UK) »
I've found a grave that is kind of interesting.  Seems to imply that a priest was buried in his first parish, not the one he was serving in when he died.

Though, he wasn't very old when he died.

No idea where he was born, though I am tenatively guessing somewhere else.

Beneath are deposited the mortal remains of the Rev. James Butler, Admr. of Carlow. Died the 13th of April, 1860, aged 37 years. His meekmess, zeal for education, and tender sympathy for the afflicted, were eminent amongst the many virtues which adorned his character. This monument reveals the affectionate remembrance of him in this Parish, where his first years in the holy ministry were zealously spent. A memorial window in the Cathedral of Carlow attests the reverential affection which his flock justly entertained for this beloved Pastor. In a short space he fulfilled a long time. His memory shall be in perennial benediction. May he rest in peace

https://www.balynaparish.ie/our-parish/parish-history/