Author Topic: Tracing my full family tree  (Read 861 times)

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing my full family tree
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 30 November 23 08:17 GMT (UK) »

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 30 November 23 08:30 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Liverpool Lady - as you have only made 2 posts I can't PM you ( Private Message ) but I am in Garston ,Liverpool - so if you think I can help with any Liverpool connections - reply on your thread on here - then I can message you  :) great researchers on here - don't get down hearted - we are all here to help you  :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 30 November 23 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Welcome from me too.

A suggestion which may help especially as you are a bit confused by relationships - draw out a simple tree on paper which can help visualise who connects to who and how.

If you want to keep a record of what you find, there are plenty of free tree building sites online. I use Tribal Pages but there are others.

Be methodical, and concentrate on one branch at a time. Build your tree as wide as you can and include all siblings of your direct ancestors. DNA matches often descend from these side branches rather than your direct lines. Once you have a decent physical tree it should be a bit easier to find where at least some of your DNA connect to you.

There will always be DNA matches that you can’t place - we all have plenty of those. And finally, be aware that there are many errors in online trees, so it is best to do your own research, or at least confirm what you find online.

Ask for help here whenever you need it. We were all in your shoes when we first started our journeys, so we understand how overwhelming it can be.