Author Topic: Free Reg Baptism notes private??  (Read 1362 times)

Offline B17_Fan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Free Reg Baptism notes private??
« on: Friday 24 November 23 18:35 GMT (UK) »
i have finally (after many many years) found the baptism of my great great granddad..George Allen Brewer on the Free Reg website. He was baptized in 1862 at St John the Baptist in Batheaston. The Problem is...in the notes section it says private. i would love to know what it says, as we don't know who his dad was and there could be something in the notes. Can anyone tell me why it would say private and how i can access this information without actually going to Bath... A long Trip! Thanks
Steptoe  Morland  Morley  Ellis  Brewer  Seymour  Davis  Kempster  Cox  Jennings  Morgans  Edwards Powell Thatcher Brewer Withers Ferris Strode Kingston Goddard Heath Fishlake

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Free Reg Baptism notes private??
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 November 23 18:41 GMT (UK) »
I think that means it was a private baptism?
I.E. Not in church, but maybe at home?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline B17_Fan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 November 23 18:46 GMT (UK) »
I think that means it was a private baptism?
I.E. Not in church, but maybe at home?

Oh well it says the Name of the Church. So I assumed it would've happened there
Steptoe  Morland  Morley  Ellis  Brewer  Seymour  Davis  Kempster  Cox  Jennings  Morgans  Edwards Powell Thatcher Brewer Withers Ferris Strode Kingston Goddard Heath Fishlake

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 November 23 18:53 GMT (UK) »
It would still show in the parish register even if it was at home.  Private baptisms are often done when a child is sickly and may not live
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 November 23 18:54 GMT (UK) »
George Allen Brewer . mmn / 
Oct-Dec 1862 . Bath . Volume 05c . Page 683
With no Mother’s Maiden Name, the child could be illegitimate, with father probably not known or recorded. The only way to know for certain is to buy the certificate. He might be recorded, but it should give the mother’s name and address.

ADDED:
In 1891, he seems to be married to Emily J and living at Canada Cottages in Micheldever, Hampshire, working as a Railway Signalman. It says he was born Bath, Somerset or Portchester, Hampshire. Children Albert G. 9, Elenor E. 2; and Eliza A. 9m. Why confusion over his birthplace, could there be something in Portchester, like a father? Was his mother from Portchester and went to Bath where the child was born?

Offline B17_Fan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 November 23 19:17 GMT (UK) »
George Allen Brewer . mmn / 
Oct-Dec 1862 . Bath . Volume 05c . Page 683
With no Mother’s Maiden Name, the child could be illegitimate, with father probably not known or recorded. The only way to know for certain is to buy the certificate. He might be recorded, but it should give the mother’s name and address.

I have his birth certificate. He was born at 15 brookleaze buildings in bath. I just don't understand why he was born there, when she lived in Marlborough. Her address on the birth cert is also 15 brookleaze buildings.

We don't know if Brewer was her maiden name or a married name.

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 November 23 19:17 GMT (UK) »
The entry is on Ancestry- November 3 1862. George Allen son of Elizabeth Brewer? Private. Mother's abode Marlborough. The surname is not clearly written, and to my eyes could read Brown, certainly the -er ending doesn't correspond with one below for Fielder. As KGarrad says, the baptism would have been in a private house not in the church itself

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 November 23 19:19 GMT (UK) »
It could be that she was sent away to have an illegitimate child - quite a common practice in those days.

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline B17_Fan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 November 23 19:37 GMT (UK) »
The entry is on Ancestry- November 3 1862. George Allen son of Elizabeth Brewer? Private. Mother's abode Marlborough. The surname is not clearly written, and to my eyes could read Brown, certainly the -er ending doesn't correspond with one below for Fielder. As KGarrad says, the baptism would have been in a private house not in the church itself

Steve

I'll send you a pm