Author Topic: Irish Newspaper Archive - 50% discount  (Read 973 times)

Offline frostyknight

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Irish Newspaper Archive - 50% discount
« on: Friday 24 November 23 23:40 GMT (UK) »
The Irish Newspaper Archive is offering a 50% discount on subscriptions until Monday 27th November. It was mentioned on Irish Genealogy News recently, but I thought I'd post here in case any one missed the notification. Details at:

https://www.irishnewsarchive.com/subscribe

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Irish Newspaper Archive - 50% discount
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 November 23 01:47 GMT (UK) »
The Irish Newspaper Archive is offering a 50% discount on subscriptions until Monday 27th November. It was mentioned on Irish Genealogy News recently, but I thought I'd post here in case any one missed the notification. Details at:

https://www.irishnewsarchive.com/subscribe

Thanks, this may tempt me!
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 November 23 07:28 GMT (UK) »
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 November 23 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that frostyknight.

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 November 23 11:34 GMT (UK) »
One of the few companies who extend offers to existing subscribers. Well worth supporting.
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 December 23 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Sadly I missed out on the offer because I didn't know I needed it! I am currently doing some Irish research for a friend and have found that the FindMyPast newspapers database was pretty good. However their newspapers aren't all that up to date (ie late twentieth/early twenty first century), so the Irish Newspaper Archive might have come in handy. My general question is, how good do regular users find it, say as compared to FindMyPast? The subscription is relatively expensive for something I am not going to use very often after this current research is finished.

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 December 23 22:15 GMT (UK) »
I use it quite a lot. Their servers are a bit slow and the OCR can be a bit dodgy on some of the much older papers, but overall, I would use it more than I do FindMyPast.

I suggest emailing them and see can they extend the offer to you. You don't ask, you don't get. You can always just get it for a month and see how you go.
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Dublin. I've just noticed that they don't appear to include the Irish Times in their archive, which might make it much less appealing for more recent items. As for the dodgy OCR, I'm very used to that on FindMyPast and have learned to try and structure my search terms to catch items that the OCR struggles with.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Dublin. I've just noticed that they don't appear to include the Irish Times in their archive, which might make it much less appealing for more recent items. As for the dodgy OCR, I'm very used to that on FindMyPast and have learned to try and structure my search terms to catch items that the OCR struggles with.

How recent is recent?

Newspaper death notices are a thing of the past. These days they are all on RIP.ie
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area