Author Topic: Stephen Winn  (Read 319 times)

Offline mickawinn

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stephen Winn
« on: Saturday 25 November 23 11:48 GMT (UK) »
I have the above born in 1844 in Hertfordshire and appearing in the 1851 and 1861 census. I then lose track of him other than finding, in the British India Office Deaths, the death of Stephen Winn, age 26, on the 9th January 1870 and buried on the 12th at Naini Tal in Bengal. He died of exhaustion and was a Private in the 102nd Regiment. Unfortunately I haven’t found any other evidence to link my Stephen with him. Can anyone suggest any likely source of information please?

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: Stephen Winn
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 November 23 12:42 GMT (UK) »

You've mistakenly posted in Armed Forces Resources which is for resources not queries.

You can ask the moderator to move your post to the Armed Forces sub-Board by using the ‘Report to Moderator’ function.

Good luck.

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 November 23 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately I haven’t found any other evidence to link my Stephen with him

The 1851 only has 2 possible entries - yours and another Stephen Winn b 1844 Gloucs.  Have you looked for the Gloucs entry on the 1871/1881 censuses to rule him out?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline mickawinn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 November 23 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Will do.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 December 23 11:40 GMT (UK) »
The 102nd Regiment started life as the Madras Fusiliers, later the Royal Madras Fusiliers, part of the Honourable East India Company's Madras Army and was first raised in 1742. Following the Indian Mutiny in1857, the Royal Madras Fusiliers was transferred to the British Army on 3 November 1859, and was retitled as 102nd Regiment of Foot (Royal Madras Fusiliers) on 30 September 1862. So the Stephen Winn who died in India might have joined either just before (when he would have been under the age of 18), or after this date. Either way, if his records still survive, they will be British Army records, not HEIC. However as he died while still serving, it is most unlikely that any service record will have been retained, and of course there will be no pension records if he wasn't married at the time. 

During its existence under the HEIC it was known as a European regiment, meaning that there were no Sepoys (ie Indian soldiers) in its ranks, unlike many of the other HEIC Infantry Regiments. The 102nd Regiment left India for England in early 1870 and  by March of that year was at Dover. In 1881 it was merged with the 103rd Regiment to become the 1st Battalion, Royal Dublin Fusiliers.

Offline mickawinn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 December 23 11:47 GMT (UK) »
CaroleW  can’t find a connection with the Gloucester Stephen.
Andy Thanks for the background info. Looks like I will never know.