Author Topic: Alexandar Grant  (Read 1116 times)

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexandar Grant
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 26 November 23 17:55 GMT (UK) »
I have the marriage certificate and it say Reputed father Alexander, my next quest is to find his mother, this has me going in circles as she is down as Jessie/Janet Duff grant nee Milne, there is an awful lot of confusion here I have her marrying David Duff in 1871 but nothing about her marrying Alexander Grant. I very much appreciate any help.

Jessie Milne -- there is a birth of a James Milne registered in 1861 in the Botriphnie district with no mother's maiden name. When you search familysearch.org it comes up with the mother's name of Jessie Milne

The 1881 and 1891 Census records that Janet Duff (Milne) was born in Botriphnie -- my conclusion is that James Milne's father was Alexander Grant and that at some stage, James took the surname of Grant.

(images courtesy of Find My Past and familysearch)

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 26 November 23 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Looks like one of the images didn't upload.

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 26 November 23 18:19 GMT (UK) »
The 1871 Census records a James Grant, born Banffshire  about 1862. He is described as being the grandson of the head of house, Peter Milne. I suggest that Peter Milne was the father of Jessie Milne. To confirm, you would need to find the birth entry for Jessie Milne. (snippet image courtesy of Find My past)

Offline Mackenzie777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 29 November 23 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou found Janet Milne Birth cert also know as Jessie, looks like James was illegitimate, obviously that's as far as I can go back unless I can locate his birth father that on his marriage cert has he is reputed to be Alexander Grant

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 29 November 23 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou found Janet Milne Birth cert also know as Jessie, looks like James was illegitimate, obviously that's as far as I can go back unless I can locate his birth father that on his marriage cert has he is reputed to be Alexander Grant

Although you will not be 100% able to prove that Alexander Grant was the father of James, I believe that as young James had taken Grant as his surname and also that as he declared Alexander as his father on his marriage certificate, I would say that Alexander was indeed the father of James.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 29 November 23 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 29 November 23 10:45 GMT (UK) »
1861 census - Alexander Grant - the only one I can see in Botriphnie
https://www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/59027e23e9379091b129af55/alexr-grant-1861-banffshire-botriphnie-1843-?locale=en

Looks like this Alexander married in December 1861 to Margaret Mitchel.

Alexander in the 1851 census
https://www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/59027deee9379091b128dc26/elspet-stuart-1851-banffshire-keith-1777-?locale=en

His mother was Helen Stuart who married Alexander McWillie in 1847, (and later a 2nd marriage to John Taylor)
Alexander - illegitimate son of Helen Stuart and William Grant.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 01 December 23 01:06 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if you noticed the information I posted about Alexander Grant?

Offline Mackenzie777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 02 December 23 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou everyone for all your help, apologies for late reply but gremlins in my pc has had me off line.

I have discovered James Grant was indeed illegitimate and born to Janet/Jessie Milne in 1861 in Botriphnie Scotland, he was registered as Milne, howver at some point his name was changed to Grant, obviously I cannot go further with James, however I am still tring to find details of his mother Janet/Jessie Milne born 1842.  The surname Duff then comes into her name and is intoduced to other individuals further down.  My task is now to find information about this, I have a marriage to a David Duff but no divorce or death to free her up to re-marry, I may not even have the correct information, I also want to find if she married a Grant and if she had more children.
All help would be appreciated