Author Topic: Fostering on Tiree  (Read 185 times)

Offline ails81

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fostering on Tiree
« on: Sunday 26 November 23 19:20 GMT (UK) »
hi everyone
I am doing some research on behalf of my step brother who is trying to find out more about his biological grandfathers family.
His grandfather was John Thomas Miller who was born on 16th November 1930 in Middlesborough, England.  His parents were Theresa Smith b1892 in Darlington and Albert Ewan Miller b1891 in Glasgow.
I dont know the ins and outs of what happened but John and his brother George (b1935) somehow ended up on Tiree in the care of a lady called Mrs McDonald, I presume being fostered??  I had some contact with a gentleman who said he went to school with George on Tiree and sent a photo.

Does anyone know any arrangements with sending kids to school on Tiree for fostering?  Or any idea why they would have ended up there?  As far as I can see the parents remained in England so seems a very odd place for the kids to go.

John had a very sad end being found dead after apparently knocking himself out and drowning aged  23 in whitehaven, cumberland 1954, I think he was in the merchant navy.  He had married my stepbrothers gran in 1952 and my stepdad was born 1953. Then his brother George died aged 22 in New Zealand after falling down a ships hold.

So all in all quite a sad life for both of them so quite interested to hear if anyone knows anything more about this arrangement or any photos would be even better.

Many thanks
Aileen
McIntyre and MacInnes, Argyll (mostly Glencoe, Ballachulish, Oban)
McGillivray, Robertson - Sleat, Skye
Sandilands, McNaughton - Abernethy, Perthshire
McCartney - Glasgow, Northern Ireland
Rafferty - Northern Ireland
Doig - Fife

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Fostering on Tiree
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 November 23 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.