Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 3rd December  (Read 2372 times)

Online radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 3rd December
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 30 November 23 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Flood waters now receding . The water overtopped this bridge link from Bega to Tarraganda but is now clear.
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 30 November 23 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Well, it's snowing here in Devon with very fine snowflakes !  We're not used to snow here, except on the moors.  Temperature 2 degrees.  Very appropriately our choir will soon be singing "Softly falls the snow" in German at our Christmas concert.
Our weekly shop is done and everything has been put away - in my opinion the worst part of a big shop.  The shelves in my larder are full, and I've now bought mincemeat to make the pies next week. Last year I made my own mincemeat from a Good Housekeeping recipe and it was awful and horribly dry.  It will soon be time to ice the cake, which has been maturing slowly in its tin.  Wrapping paper was on offer (3 for 2)  today, so that's done now, too.  I do like to keep ahead of things and if you leave it till the last minute something is bound to happen to get in the way.
Keep well, everyone, and warm, too.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 30 November 23 13:02 GMT (UK) »
At 09.15  my car was minus 1 degree and I had to scrape the ice off the car, it felt jolly cold,  I then went shopping,  those wretched  trolleys should have brakes, they have a will of their own on sloping  car parks, I was really lucky  to reach my car and not scrape it,  ot anyone else for that matter, it is really hard work to control the trolley.

Please keep safe and warm.

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 30 November 23 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Wonderful OH made our Christmas cake a couple of weeks back, he's really good at it. It's based on my mother's recipe, with "additions", and so well-anointed that it sings "Nellie Dean" when you open the tin's lid!
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 30 November 23 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Wonderful OH made our Christmas cake a couple of weeks back, he's really good at it. It's based on my mother's recipe, with "additions", and so well-anointed that it sings "Nellie Dean" when you open the tin's lid!
TY
:D :D  :D :D :D-
Viktoria.
P.S.my OH loved all the baking etc,stirring ,grating ,all the fruit for cakes,
puddings , mincemeat , his Mum did not do any of that so he was like a big kid.
All the more enjoyable when our Grandchildren “ helped”
My son abd I will be with  my daughter for Christmas.
New Year with my other ,the eldest son and his wife ,I will cook here for the four of us , at New Year I would like to invite my sister in law and niece.
My O.H’s sister,the youngest of the family .

Fish and chips for tea, so no cooking this evening.

Thick ice this morning and dustbin lids frozen shut, so stuff to go out as they hopefully will be emptied tomorrow.

Look after yourselves folks and especially those travelling in this bad weather.
Cheerio,Viktoria.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 30 November 23 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Put something under the lid of the bin to stop it from freezing , might work

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 30 November 23 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Good idea L.M ,a little stick or something so I can lever the lid up with a hoe or a trowel.

No news from my friend in Wales ,who has lost her son.
I have emailed and phoned but no reply so I must respect her  wish for privacy.

Soooo cold here today, son drove me to Bury to get proof ( via Council Tax payments) that I am still alive ,re my Belgian pension eligibility.
I keep reminding them my Dad was up to his knees in muck and bullets for them in WW1!

Just had fish and chips for tea, so not much washing up .

Someone came to the door today from Derian House.A children’s Hospice he said.
I agreed to donate ,but even with a badge ,and pamphlets  , no way was I going to give my card details including the three figure number on the back just like that — called son who was upstairs working ,he came down and
said I was not going to do that and it was  unreasonable to ask for such details on the doorstep.So I said sorry, but I am not donating .
He was very polite and left.

Email from blind company ,asking for the last half of the cost of a blind I ordered ,which was fitted over a week ago, and for which I paid in advance.
Got bank statement today and it shows in there the two payments —half on ordering and half when installation date was confirmed by phone.
Does not inspire much confidence .

Well not much washing up but what there is needs to be done ,then a cup,of tea.
Cheerio.
Viktoria.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 01 December 23 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Morning All.
My son has been sailing the Atlantic for much of November, crewing a yacht delivery to Antigua. He will find it a tad chilly when he flies back to us today!

We have a bright sunny morning, here in Devon, though cold of course, and north easterly winds so the sea is REALLY wild.

I was surprised to learn there has been snow near by at Ivybridge which is not high ground.

Hope everyone has a little sunshine today. :D
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 01 December 23 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Oooh yes Mowsehowse, such a change for him.

Bitterly cold here today again but bright sunshine “ healthy weather “ my Mum used to say “ It kills germs!”

No word as yet from my echo scan , but everywhere is so busy .

Who watched Question Time last night ?
What good sense one speaker had .
Andrew Neil, a member of the audience complimented him .

Cheese and onion pie for tea, I have gone off cauliflower,prefer broccoli so will do pastry in a minute and prepare onions and veges etc so not much to do for tea.

Well ,must look for material to make a new ironing board cover -Louisa Maude sent an easy pattern .Thanks L.M.
Look after yourselves folks .
Viktoria.