Author Topic: 1861 Census Golcar West Yorkshire  (Read 161 times)

Offline KateClark

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1861 Census Golcar West Yorkshire
« on: Monday 27 November 23 16:48 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to follow the Family of James Beaumont abt1809 & Sarah (Sally) Garside (1812) -they had about 11 children born between 1835 & 1856 and on the 1851, 1871, 1881 various members of the family are living at (H)edge Bottom in Golcar, in the census it comes between Clough & Westwood Edge. in 1861 I get nothing at all for any of them. in the book RG9 3271 in the description of enumeration district 8 there are several Clough entries, Edge Bottom and Westwood Edge. However on page 18 there are two entries for Clough 96 & 97 the 98 is Westwood Edge -so it appears that a section was omitted? I have tried Ancestry, Find My Past and The Genealogist and even tried looking for a neighbour in 1871 but not luck! Does anyone know anything about this?
I also tried address search for 1861 with no results -came up for 1871

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 Census Golcar West Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 November 23 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat!

It looks as though you've found a missing page - or rather not found it. The last entries on page 22 are schedules 102 and 103 for Edge Bottom, then the next image is page 25 starting with schedule 113.

It must have been missing from an early date, since page 21 (with 22 on the reverse) is stamped as folio 132, and page 25 is stamped as folio 133. The state of folio 133 suggests there might have been some kind of mishap.

The 1861 is probably the worst of the censuses for missing pages, and sometimes whole pieces. However, occasionally pages seem to have been rebound, and mixed up in the process. It might sometimes be useful to browse through a whole piece to look for this, but the fact that they don't turn up in a search doesn't bode well.

Sometimes it can help to look for children rather than their parents (dates of birth can be more accurate), and in this case I see from 1871 that two sons born in the 1850s have fairly unusual forenames - Elliott and Wright. This would normally be helpful, but looking for just those forenames didn't bring them up for me.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 Census Golcar West Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 November 23 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Historical Directories - see col 1 "Boot and Shoemakers".
https://specialcollections.le.ac.uk/digital/collection/p16445coll4/id/300408/rec/1

For an explanation of the numeric value see previous page
https://specialcollections.le.ac.uk/digital/collection/p16445coll4/id/300407/rec/1