Author Topic: My grandfather, James Broadbent Haigh, 1874-1923. Date of photo?  (Read 664 times)

Offline Robert Haigh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My grandfather, James Broadbent Haigh, 1874-1923. Date of photo?
« on: Monday 27 November 23 21:53 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather, James Broadbent Haigh (1874-1923) was a chauffeur and gardener for a businessman in Bradford, West Yorkshire, England. I wonder if anyone can tell me when this photo was taken? He died in June 1923, aged 48. The car may give a clue, and he looks to be in his 40s in the photo. The number ...C1-84529 is on the back of the photo, which may or may not mean anything. My own feeling is that the photo dates from pre-1920, but I don't really know.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: My grandfather, James Broadbent Haigh, 1874-1923. Date of photo?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 November 23 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robert and welcome to RootsChat, I'm no expert on cars but this will bring your post back up the board.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Annbee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 November 23 07:22 GMT (UK) »
I am not a car expert either, but if no-one answers on Rootschat, if you google "antique automobile club UK" you will find lots of clubs who will be able to help identify the car. It looks quite distinctive with it's round front bonnet - and if the owner can afford your grandfather to drive around his golf clubs, it's probably top of the range!
Warwickshire: BEACH/BACHE, COX Gloucestershire: HAIL, VOYCE, TURNER, WINCHCOMBE, PREEN, Worcestershire: WEBB, CHARE, TYLER, Fife: FOWLER, JOHNSTONE, MELVILLE, Lanarkshire/Dunbartonshire: GRAHAM, CHALMERS, LANG, BISHOP, Sweden/Hamburg/London/Birmingham: HOKANSON

Offline Robert Haigh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 November 23 09:38 GMT (UK) »
I am not a car expert either, but if no-one answers on Rootschat, if you google "antique automobile club UK" you will find lots of clubs who will be able to help identify the car. It looks quite distinctive with it's round front bonnet - and if the owner can afford your grandfather to drive around his golf clubs, it's probably top of the range!
Thanks for the advice. I appreciate any helpful hint!

Offline Robert Haigh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 November 23 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robert and welcome to RootsChat, I'm no expert on cars but this will bring your post back up the board.
Carol
Thank you for the welcome, and for the goodwill gesture!

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 November 23 11:52 GMT (UK) »
The bonnet shape reminds me of a pre-WW1 Renault, but there may be other possibilities. See for example this 1910 AX Tourer:

https://cars.bonhams.com/auction/21902/lot/380/1910-renault-ax-tourer-chassis-no-22353-engine-no-1887/
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Robert Haigh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 November 23 17:31 GMT (UK) »
The bonnet shape reminds me of a pre-WW1 Renault, but there may be other possibilities. See for example this 1910 AX Tourer:

https://cars.bonhams.com/auction/21902/lot/380/1910-renault-ax-tourer-chassis-no-22353-engine-no-1887/
Thanks for your input. I've had a look at your Renault-ax-tourer and there are definite similarities in the bonnet and some of the fittings. Probably a later model in my photo, but still pre-1920 I'm thinking. I appreciate your help!

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 November 23 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Having looked into this a bit more now, I'm pretty sure it is a Renault, but I think you're probably right about it being during or a bit after WW1. Many of the earlier models didn't have much in the way of doors, and the radiator surround seems to have been more angular. Too far into the 1920s, though, and the 'coal scuttle' bonnet became much squarer.

This site (in French) has pictures of a lot of the models of that era:

https://renaultheque.wordpress.com/2014/11/30/renault-1910-a-1914/

https://renaultheque.wordpress.com/2014/11/30/renault-1915-a-1919/

https://renaultheque.wordpress.com/2014/11/30/renault-1920-a-1924/

Of the ones there, I wondered about a 1916 FK, but I could be wrong. Have fun!
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annbee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 30 November 23 02:57 GMT (UK) »
Of the ones there, I wondered about a 1916 FK

Good find Arthurk. I think you're right, 1912-1916 from the images. From 1916 I fancy the 1916 H20 model because it has those square cowl lights on the side. Must have square cowl lights and healthy gap from windscreen to where the curved bonnet starts.

I also saw a couple of other contenders from earlier based on square cowl etc.

When I went on an image hunt yesterday, all I could find with a curved bonnet was Renault too.

Apparently it was the deluxe cars which came with cowl lights; regular cars didn't and you'd have to pay extra if you wanted them. I'm not a car person. The things you learn  ;D (But I did once own a Renault Gordini)

Warwickshire: BEACH/BACHE, COX Gloucestershire: HAIL, VOYCE, TURNER, WINCHCOMBE, PREEN, Worcestershire: WEBB, CHARE, TYLER, Fife: FOWLER, JOHNSTONE, MELVILLE, Lanarkshire/Dunbartonshire: GRAHAM, CHALMERS, LANG, BISHOP, Sweden/Hamburg/London/Birmingham: HOKANSON