Author Topic: My grandfather, James Broadbent Haigh, 1874-1923. Date of photo?  (Read 665 times)

Offline Robert Haigh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: My grandfather, James Broadbent Haigh, 1874-1923. Date of photo?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 30 November 23 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Having looked into this a bit more now, I'm pretty sure it is a Renault, but I think you're probably right about it being during or a bit after WW1. Many of the earlier models didn't have much in the way of doors, and the radiator surround seems to have been more angular. Too far into the 1920s, though, and the 'coal scuttle' bonnet became much squarer.

This site (in French) has pictures of a lot of the models of that era:

https://renaultheque.wordpress.com/2014/11/30/renault-1910-a-1914/

https://renaultheque.wordpress.com/2014/11/30/renault-1915-a-1919/

https://renaultheque.wordpress.com/2014/11/30/renault-1920-a-1924/

Of the ones there, I wondered about a 1916 FK, but I could be wrong. Have fun!
Looking at all the vintage cars in your links I'm now sure the car in my photo is a Renault. Still not sure which model, but your links have certainly been helpful in narrowing down the range. Thanks again!

Offline Robert Haigh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 30 November 23 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Of the ones there, I wondered about a 1916 FK

Good find Arthurk. I think you're right, 1912-1916 from the images. From 1916 I fancy the 1916 H20 model because it has those square cowl lights on the side. Must have square cowl lights and healthy gap from windscreen to where the curved bonnet starts.

I also saw a couple of other contenders from earlier based on square cowl etc.

When I went on an image hunt yesterday, all I could find with a curved bonnet was Renault too.

Apparently it was the deluxe cars which came with cowl lights; regular cars didn't and you'd have to pay extra if you wanted them. I'm not a car person. The things you learn  ;D (But I did once own a Renault Gordini)

I'm now certain the car is a Renault, so that is progress. Thank you for helping!

Offline vintman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 01 December 23 18:43 GMT (UK) »
There were a number of cars during this period which had coal-scuttle bonnets, but this is indeed a Renault as suggested by Arthurk. Renault made scuttled bonnets for longer than most, but a couple of identifiers help to narrow it down a bit. The rear radiator was internal after 1919. The bonnet is relatively short so it is a smaller power car. The leading edge of the rear radiator at the scuttle is rounded, so no earlier than 1911. There is a scuttle body section behind the radiator to the windscreen. The windscreen is relatively small. There is also a fuel filler cap in the scuttle. The latter suggests a cca 1913 Renault Model DM 11HP Torpedo Tourer. The actual date of the photo cannot be earlier, but could be later.

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 01 December 23 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that - there seem to have been so many Renault models with often only small differences between them that a more expert opinion is invaluable.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Robert Haigh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 01 December 23 19:40 GMT (UK) »
There were a number of cars during this period which had coal-scuttle bonnets, but this is indeed a Renault as suggested by Arthurk. Renault made scuttled bonnets for longer than most, but a couple of identifiers help to narrow it down a bit. The rear radiator was internal after 1919. The bonnet is relatively short so it is a smaller power car. The leading edge of the rear radiator at the scuttle is rounded, so no earlier than 1911. There is a scuttle body section behind the radiator to the windscreen. The windscreen is relatively small. There is also a fuel filler cap in the scuttle. The latter suggests a cca 1913 Renault Model DM 11HP Torpedo Tourer. The actual date of the photo cannot be earlier, but could be later.
A great piece of detective work! Thank you for the info!

Offline vintman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 02 December 23 14:43 GMT (UK) »
I am always happy to try and assist with car recognitions. I think the numbers on the back of the photo are probably the photographers reference because they do not seem to have any relevance to the registration.  Am also attaching my version of repairs to the photo.

Offline Robert Haigh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 02 December 23 20:28 GMT (UK) »
I am always happy to try and assist with car recognitions. I think the numbers on the back of the photo are probably the photographers reference because they do not seem to have any relevance to the registration.  Am also attaching my version of repairs to the photo.
OK. Thanks for that! I shall copy and save your repaired version of the photo.