Author Topic: John Pitchford (c 1834 - 1907) marriage puzzle  (Read 153 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Pitchford (c 1834 - 1907) marriage puzzle
« on: Wednesday 29 November 23 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi, trying to solve a puzzle!

Can anyone find a marriage for a John Pitchford and an Elizabeth please. They were in Yazor in 1881.

John was married in Llanfihangel Rhydithon (Radnorshire) in 1865 to Mary Price. Mary died in premature labour on 10 April 1879, in Yarsop, Yazor, with her death registered by John, widower of the deceased, present at the death. But the only marriage i can find is in Wormsley on 27 Jan 1875 (to Elizabeth Gunter). I haven't bought the certificate as it's not my tree, and the only detail i can find is on Family Search where Elizabeth is noted as being previously married, giving the maiden name Cole. No mention is made of any previous marriage for John. But presumably this can't be the one i'm looking for.

Any help appreciated, thanks
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Pitchford (c 1834 - 1907)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 November 23 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Doh! Ancestry offered the 27 Jan 1875 marriage in Wormsley to Elizabeth Gunter which is what I recorded in my tree. But freeBMD has what appears to be the same marriage in the Jan-Mar 1881 quarter, Weobley reg district, Elizabeth entered as Gunter or Gunton. It doesn't find the 1875 one  ???

I guess they could have married in 1875 but bigamously, John and Mary reconciled, then she died so he married Elizabeth, but any other ideas welcomed.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Pitchford (c 1834 - 1907) marriage puzzle
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 November 23 18:16 GMT (UK) »
the record on FreeBmd is taken from the GRO index, Findmypast have it as well. I suspect the  date for the 1875 parish marriage has been mistranscribed some where along the way. It's a pity the record doesn't seem to be online and you could check what is going on with the date.

The 1865 marriage gives John's father as John Pitchford, labourer. Possible baptism
Llanfihangel Helygen 30 Sept 1837 John son of John Pitchford, labourer, and Mary of Gatehouse. GRO birth record gives mmn as Willding.
On the same register pages baptisms 14 June 1835 for Elinor & Mary to same parents.
Marriage 26 Oct 1832 Nantmel John Pitchford & Marianne Whilding

1841 census
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M775-NK7

family in Cefnllys in 1851 HO107/2494 folio 219 pg 1
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Pitchford (c 1834 - 1907) marriage puzzle
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 November 23 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks osprey, that makes more sense than my idea of a bigamous marriage.

Hadn’t gone back (so far) to John’s parents so thanks for that. Their sons births don’t appear to have been registered.