Author Topic: A cow just passing through!  (Read 469 times)

Offline Robert Haigh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A cow just passing through!
« on: Wednesday 29 November 23 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Looking through some old photographs, I came upon this one of me feeding a cow! Our rear garden bordered one of farmer Gott Daniel's fields, in which he kept a herd of Jersey cattle. This photo brought to mind the time when one of the cows forced its way into our garden (one of the clips on the iron fence was broken). The cow trotted along our path and into the front garden. From there it proceeded to go down the three steps onto the pavement and into the road!

I alerted some of my friends and we tried to get the cow back into our garden and back into the field, but it ran here there and everywhere, but not back into its field! A few of us then went up to the farmhouse to tell Mr Daniel what had happened, and he came, with his son-in-law, to get his errant cow back!

I doubt that the cow in the photo is the same one, but here I am, feeding her grass cuttings after I had mowed the lawn. Happy days!

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A cow just passing through!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 November 23 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Aw...sweet  ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 November 23 14:15 GMT (UK) »
When we lived in a small village in Venezuela, we used to occasionally do our duty and drop by the house of the G family.  The Gs were, in a sense, the lords of the manor, the most powerful people in the village.  In the afternoon, Sra. G generally held court in a small, covered portico at the entrance to their house.  There were two benches under the little tin roof, and you could sit there and chat with the Seņora, demonstrating deference and respect for the social pecking order.  We were shocked the first time when a cow clomped down the two or three steps from the street into the portico, casually strolled between the benches, entered the house through the front door and made her way towards the kitchen in the back.  No one made a move to stop her.  Sra. G laughed at our astonishment and explained that the cow [if I recall, her name was La Princesa] had been hand reared and still came every day to get a treat in the kitchen.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 November 23 14:32 GMT (UK) »
I had to stop and herd a couple of sheep that'd come down from higher ground, yesterday, before they became roadkill. I had a lovely jersey calf named after me when I was a child and I was there when she was born... The farmer said she grew up "a right stroppy little devil"
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Robert Haigh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 November 23 17:41 GMT (UK) »
I had to stop and herd a couple of sheep that'd come down from higher ground, yesterday, before they became roadkill. I had a lovely jersey calf named after me when I was a child and I was there when she was born... The farmer said she grew up "a right stroppy little devil"
TY
Interesting events. Such things good memories are made of!

Offline Robert Haigh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 November 23 17:43 GMT (UK) »
When we lived in a small village in Venezuela, we used to occasionally do our duty and drop by the house of the G family.  The Gs were, in a sense, the lords of the manor, the most powerful people in the village.  In the afternoon, Sra. G generally held court in a small, covered portico at the entrance to their house.  There were two benches under the little tin roof, and you could sit there and chat with the Seņora, demonstrating deference and respect for the social pecking order.  We were shocked the first time when a cow clomped down the two or three steps from the street into the portico, casually strolled between the benches, entered the house through the front door and made her way towards the kitchen in the back.  No one made a move to stop her.  Sra. G laughed at our astonishment and explained that the cow [if I recall, her name was La Princesa] had been hand reared and still came every day to get a treat in the kitchen.
Good memories!

Offline Robert Haigh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 November 23 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Aw...sweet  ;D
Carol
Thank you Carol! Glad you enjoyed my little reminiscence!