Author Topic: Narrowing it down - Mullinger & Sadler  (Read 632 times)

Offline willowbranch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Narrowing it down - Mullinger & Sadler
« on: Wednesday 29 November 23 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I am trying to trace my family tree and have come stuck with regards to my paternal grandmother's line. Everyone I will go on to mention are now deceased so hope this post is okay and within guidelines.

My grandmother is Edna Beryl Victoria Mullinger, and was born in 1921 in London. She is sister to Gloria M Mullinger, born in 1920. They were both born to Mary Ann Mullinger (maiden name Sadler) and Alfred Mullinger. Mary Ann died in 1931 of TB at the age of 47 (leaving behind her husband and daughters) so this puts her year of birth to around 1883-1884. I've managed to find 2 different Mary Ann Sadlers living in the area at this time, but one of them was born to a Ruth Sadler in Pancras Workhouse out of wedlock, whilst the other was born in wedlock. I am struggling to see which is which. Alfred Mullinger is more difficult - he is listed as a valet for a hotel on both birth certificates for my grandmother and her sister, but on Gloria's certificate he put that he was ex army. There are mentions throughout the family that he was connected to Belgium at some point - we think perhaps this could be during WW1 or during his time in the army.

Another layer of complexity is that when Mary Ann died, Alfred is said to have upped and left (perhaps for another woman) and the girls were faced with the prospect of going into a children's home/orphanage. Apparently either an aunt or step sister stepped in to take them in and prevent that, and I can see from a census between 1939-1941 that both sisters were living with a Louisa Prudence Cox (nee Tijou), a widow, and her son Thomas Cox, and another woman called Gertrude Bristow. Louisa is a name remembered by some in the family and we think she is the link, but I cannot work out where abouts she would be connected to the family - I'm struggling to see any close ties to either Mullinger or Sadler.

Edna went on to marry a Joseph Badger at age 18, and then divorced and married my grandfather, Leslie F Atkinson.

Would anyone be able to help me shed some light on which Mary Ann Sadler and which Alfred Mullinger are the parents of Edna and Gloria? Thank you  :)

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Narrowing it down - Mullinger & Sadler
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 November 23 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Good Afternoon ,and Welcome to the Forum .
We are here to help
I'll admit I'm finding this one a bit of a struggle.
I have found them on the 1921 census but I can't give you more details than what I havee obtained on a free search of the index for copyright reasons.If you have FindMyPast have a look for yourself.

We have Alfred born 1883
             May really Mary born 1883
             Irene 12
             Gloria 1

Your mother will be born after the census is taken .
a son Alfred A was born 1923  but sadly died Dec 1923 at Romford.
Mary your grandmother's death
Mary Ann Mullinger born 1884  Died Sep qtr 1931 Wandsworth

They are not the Alfred Mullinger and Mary Howlett who married 1919 at Lambeth .I've checked it out and Mary was not a war widow marrying again.

As for the military connection .It may provide a few answers if we can find his service record but it was just after the Great War when every young man would have been called up.

I'll see what else I can find

Ciderdrinker

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 November 23 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Right I've found her mother.

Mary Ann was born in London in 1884 the daughter of John Francis Sadler born 1844 Westminster basket maker and his wife Sarah Yarton.They married 28th May 1876 at St Mayr Lambeth
In 1901 they are living at Great Peter St Westminster
John 57 basket maker London
Sarah 45 London
Mary 17 dryer incandescent mantle London
Ada 15 Westminster
John 13
Albert 8
Sarah 4
Alice 4

Mary had married before .She married 28.8.1904 at Westminster St Mathews Thomas Henry Howeell 22 soldier 5 th battery Royal artillery Portsmouth s of Henry a carman
She is described as a dressmaker age 20. Wit John Francis Howell and Alice Sullivan.

The couple have a daughter Irene  at Eversholt Portsmouth 1908/1909.
They are then sent on a posting to India.
1911 census Lucknow India
Mary Howell wife of soldier  27 (I'd better not put the rest as it's not on the free index)
Irene 2
Harold 4mths.
Harold born 4th Nov 1910 bapt 20th Harold James buried 21 Sep 1911
Another son Henry Peter 5.11.1913 at Perambur (and there seem to be more)

Her husband was bapt 13 Aug 1882 s of Henry and Elizabeth Howell carman at St Margaret Westminster of 57 New Peter St.
I'm struggling to find a death for him and I think he may have survived the war .There is a possible death at Poplar Sep 1925.

Which gets us back to the marriage in 1919 I discounted earlier.
This has some twists.I don't think her first husband is dead and she is marrying as a spinster
April 9th 1919 St Mark Kennington
Alfred Mullinger 32 bach iron moulder 21 Upper Kensington Lane George Mullinger dec paper hanger
Mary Howlett 31 spinster same address John Francis Howlett basket maker
wit George Andrews and Charles Cyrus Copus?

Which is a bit of a turn up.

Sorry if you are shocked but it does look like her.They went through a lot in the War and divorce was hard and expensive .Perhaps they just fell in love.

Ciderdrinker

Offline willowbranch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 November 23 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Wow, thank you so much for delving into this for me - it's incredible to see what can get uncovered. I'm really pleased we've found Mary, and the mentions of step sister etc seem much more understandable now with the prospect of Irene.

So what I'm understanding here is that it is likely she married Thomas Henry Howell in 1904, and had at least 1 survivng daughter with him (Irene?) but yet in 1919, she went on to marry Alfred Mullinger despite not being divorced (?) or widowed. Thomas may have died in 1925, 6 years after she remarried. She lists John Francis Howell (instead of Sadler) as her father and her last name as Howell on the new wedding certificate - could this be to try and get around the legality of it, since she is pretending she is not married and Mary Ann Sadler would be listed as still married to Thomas Howell?

Would you be able to suggest any pointers on how to get more information on Alfred? Could he be the Alfred Thomas Mullinger born in 1883 to mother with maiden name Lummis? This Alfred Mullinger went on to marry Florence M Watson in 1935, and then died in 1941.

I am curious to see how Louisa Prudence links in here, I will have to try and find out if Irene or any other sisters (if she had others) married Coxes.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 November 23 17:09 GMT (UK) »

Would you be able to suggest any pointers on how to get more information on Alfred? Could he be the Alfred Thomas Mullinger born in 1883 to mother with maiden name Lummis? This Alfred Mullinger went on to marry Florence M Watson in 1935, and then died in 1941.

Alfred Thomas Mullinger was in Suffolk in 1901 & 1911 - father William

Marriage Dec qtr 1880 
Lomas    Alice Matilda       
Mullinger    William       
Hartismere    4a   1191
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline willowbranch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 December 23 00:19 GMT (UK) »
Interestingly, I have found out that Thomas Henry Howell was the son of Mary Ann's aunt - so they must have been cousins. They had a daughter Vera Constance in 1914, but it's interesting that she isn't with the Mullingers in 1921. I did further digging into this - and I believe at the 1921 census she was at a children's school/workhouse in London - listed with "father dead".

I also looked up the death report for Thomas, and it states that he was living with his sister Elizabeth Eade - I managed to find a marriage record for Elizabeth Howell to an Albert Eade, so again this checks out. His death is listed as disseminated sclerosis (MS?) for an unknown amount of years, and anorexia for 2 months. I wonder if Mary felt she couldn't cope with his illness and fell into Alfred Mullinger's arms instead?

I am not really any closer to finding out which Alfred Mullinger he is, but I know his father is a George Mullinger according to his wedding certificate with Mary (however - on that certificate, where she lists herself as Howlett, they both list themselves as 32 and 31, when actually they would be approximately both 36? Unless they both lied again, along with the last name for Mary?). There is a birth registered in 1883 with a Charles Alfred Mullinger, to father George Mullinger, and I am wondering if this may be him? However this same Mullinger married an Ethel in 1914, but as we've seen with Mary, perhaps bigamy is not out of the question for him either?

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 December 23 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning
Sorry not to get back to you earlier but I'm not on line at home and I have to make it to the Library.But you've done brilliantly without me.Lots more there.Well Done!

I've got a bit more on Thomas and Mary Howell's children

Herman Henry John Howell born June qtr Hartley Wintney 14.6.1907.Bapt Christ Church Crookham 7 th July  of Evershot soldier Buried Aldershot Military Burial Ground 29.4.1908 .10months
Wellington Lines son of Driver Royal Field Artillary

Irene Isabel born 1 Oct 1908 bapt 18.10.1908 Christ Church Crookham of Crookham soldier.In June 1937 it looks like she married Edward C Evans a lorry driver born 3.5.1916 .If so by 1939 she is in Darlaston West Midlands .She died Jan 1989 in Sandwell .The birth date matches with both her death index and the 1939 index.

One child died before 1911

Harold James  born 4 Nov 1910 bapt 20th All Saints Luicknow Driver 20th Battery RFA .Died 21.9.1911 Meningitis child of Driver Howell 20th Battery Royal Field Artillery

Turns out Henry Peter isn't there.I checked the baptism and he's age 10 ,so too early if born c 1903 and his mother is Mary Rosland. Oops!

Possible I haven't seen the birth cert and can't see a baptism
Vera C E Howell born Dec 1912 Lewisham  Death Dec 1913 Wandsworth age 1 year

Then the Vera Constance Howell you found.  Born 24 Oct 1914 bapt 24 Nov St Mathew and St Peter Westminster
Only Mary mentioned ,no Thomas Henry .58 Westminster Buildings SW charwoman.So was Thomas the father or had they already split up?
You have her 1921 ,1939 she's in Southgate .She seems to have worked as a domestic servant.
It looks like she married Alfred W Perkins Sep qtr 1948 Wood Green.
And she died South End on Sea Mar qtr 1983.

I have got the connection between Louisa Prudence Cox and Mary Ann Sadler but it is quite complicated.

Louisa Prudence Cox 1875-1951 daughter of Prudence Mary Ann Raynsford gd Robert John
                                                                 1849-1897                 Raynsford 1821 -1867and
                                                                                                  Prudence   Horneblow                                                                                           
                                                                                                   1828-75
                                                                Prudence's brother and sister in law  Robert John
                                                                                                                  Raynsford
                                                                                                             1847-1921 and Jane
                                                                                                              Sadler 1848-1903

Mary Ann Sadler 1884-1930  daughter of  John Francis Sadler 1842-1929 gd Francis Sadler 1815-
                                                                                                       1861 and Sarah Nibbs born
                                                                                                                       1810
John Francis Sadler and Jane Sadler  were sister and brother.
So Louisa Prundence Cox nee Tijou  is John Francis Sadler's niece by marriage  .She and Mary Ann Sadler are first cousins  by marriage  x 2'

I'll have another go at Alfred Mulligan

Ciderdrinker

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 December 23 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning
I've had a good look for Alfred but I'm not getting very far.
Like you I've tried the 4 Alfred Mullingar /Mullingers born 1879-1889
Including you Charles Alfred from Portsea . And unfortunately he's on the 1921 census living in the Portsmouth area.He could have travelled up to London and lived a double life given his job as a commercial traveler but would his employers in London  been happy he wasn't there part of the time?
He's not Valentine Alfred Mullingar born 1888 either.

I tried George Mullingers married around the time and there is Charles Alfred's parents and George Mullinger and Sarah Church nee King but they don't seem to have any children.
There is a George Mullinger who died in Colchester Sep 1884 age 50 and given that Alfred said he was born in Essex I did wonder if there was a link there but I'm not finding anything else and of course I don't have any more details of the death.

The only other thing I can think of is his army record.
There are 3 medal record cards for an Alfred Mullingar

Alfred Mullinger Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry born 1883 Discharged 30 May 1917.
(I'm guessing the Guy at Easingwold born in Suffolk so not him) Wife Florence M.
Alfred Mullinger Manchester Regiment Pte then Sergent No 1448 31 Wadley St Leytonstone then 33 Colville Road  who has a wife Olive Kate and was court martialed 1911. They are on the 1921 census so not them
Alfred S Mullinger Army Service Corps  York and Lancashire Regiment 33325.From Old Bow London.
No service record for him but there is a pension record but I've not seen it.

There is also a pension record for Alfred Mullinger 34638 0d. Bn. Yorks L.i Inf.
I'll be honest and say military records aren't my area and they could be the same chap.
The pension records are  on Fold 3 if you want to take a chance and look at them.

But there is nothing.He appears out of nowhere and then is gone.

Ciderdrinker

Offline willowbranch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for your attempts - it helps to be able to rule out certain Alfreds at least.

Alfred Mullinger (34638) - discharge in 1917 for being no longer physically fit for service (para 392, xvi). Looks like 'wounds' inputted. Born 1883. King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry regiment.

I believe this is the Alfred Thomas Mullinger went on to marry Florence Watson in 1935 that is potentially discounted, but are we certain? Father's name is William - could it be William George?

It's not Alfred Bertie Mullinger of 9 Rosemary Avenue, married to Emma Edith. Or the Alfred Mullinger married to Olive Kate (Manchester regiment).

Could it be the Alfred & Mary Ann Mullinger living at 29 Western Road in Norwood in 1922-1927? Bizarelly, in 1921, it's Alfred & Annie Florence Mullinger living there!

There's an Alfred Frederick Mullinger living at 41 Featherstone Road in 1927. In 1926 at the same address there is a Mary Ann living there also. I think I crossed this one out before but can't remember why.

An Alfred S Mullinger marries a Gertrude M Henrey in Norfolk in 1920, so unlikely to be him? I believe the middle name is Samson.

This is the marriage record between Alfred & Mary Ann, where he lists his father:

Do the markings under George Mullinger (D/C??) mean that by this time, he is deceased? And am I right in thinking 'paper hanger' could count for painter/decorator (as in wallpaper hanging)?

If so, I found a death record of a George Mullinger in 1897 at the age of 50, profession listed as house decorator in Pancras. His sister in law (Ell__ B__ (can't really make it out, will attach it below)) was present at the time of death. Can't make out the cause of death either.  I think he was married to a Hester/Hesther/Esther.

There also seems to be a George Mullinger that lived in Leytonstone, married to an Elizabeth.