Author Topic: Richard Washington, Staples Inn, London  (Read 247 times)

Offline ellerydesign

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Richard Washington, Staples Inn, London
« on: Wednesday 29 November 23 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Wonder if anyone has any information on Richard Washington, son of Henry Washington and Eleanor Harrison, of South Cave, Yorkshire (marr. 7/10/1689). I can find little info on him from online records.

All I know is that he was an attorney at Staples Inn, London a Inn of Chancery and customs house for wool, where he was admitted on 14/2/1717-18.

I think he might be the Richard Washington, Gentleman who with his wife Elizabeth had as least 5 children bap. at St Andrew's Holborn, London: viz. Henry (21/5/1719), Mary (23/2/1722), Elianor (21/4/1724), Robert (25/7/1725) & Elizabeth (2/4/1726-27). Their bap. entries state their home being at Southandon Buildings or Old Southanden Buildings. Could this be Southampton Buildings? It's hard to decipher.

I also found reference to Richard leaving a will where his son William and his daughter Mary are only mentioned. But I can find no trace of this will or it's date.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Ellery, Bye, Trimmel/Trimnell, Palmer, Tanner, Ody(e), Webb, Paradise in Wiltshire.
Ellery, Painter in Gloucestershire.
Ellery, Clift in London, Middlesex and Surrey.
Clift, Rolfe in Springfield, Essex.
Ellery, McBeth/McBeath, Towar, Morrison, Young in Stirlingshire.
Young, Cuthbert in Perthshire.
Hill, Fairweather, McKinlay, Ramsay in Caithness and Edinburgh.
McNicoll, Bogue, Coupar, Bowman, Lumgair, Weir in Arbroath and Angus.

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Washington, Staples Inn, London
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 November 23 03:16 GMT (UK) »
Their bap. entries state their home being at Southandon Buildings or Old Southanden Buildings. Could this be Southampton Buildings? It's hard to decipher.

The entry for Henry is clearly Southampton Build(ings).  Mary's entry has Southamton Buildings.

The entries after Mary's - particularly Elianor's - are less certain.

In the collection on Ancestry called UK, Register of Duties Paid for Apprentices' Indentures, 1710-1811 you'll find a record dated 27 July 1724 for Richd Washington of Staples Inne Atty as the master in relation to an apprentice named Robt Draper.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 November 23 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Some interesting case records at TNA:

"Richard Washington, gent of Staple Inn, London (eldest son and heir of Henry Washington, esq, deceased of Cookham, Berkshire) and Eleanor Washington (widow and executrix of said Henry Washington)."

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C10424108

"Short title: Washington v Darby.

Plaintiffs: Richard Washington, infant (by John Marsh, gent of Merds Court, Warden Street, St Ann Westminster, Middlesex).

Defendants: Christopher Darby, David Thomas and Richard Washington.

A later bill dated 1731.

Plaintiffs: Elizabeth Washington (wife of Richard Washington; by John Marsh, gent) and Richard Washington, infant (by said John Marsh).

Defendants: Christopher Darby and others.

Date of bill (or first document): 1730"

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C10515374

Lots of other cases:  https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r/2?_q=%22richard%20washington%22&_p=1700
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ellerydesign

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 November 23 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks both for all the information.

I had taken the Henry Washington baptism straight from Family Search without checking the original on Ancestry. So thanks for that Horsleydown. Definitely Southampton Buildings.
Thanks for the links to the Archive sources ShaunJ. I'll have a good look through these.

I've now found the burials of 2 of the children... Elianor at St Marylebone, Westminster on 2 June 1724 aged c. 5 weeks, and Henry at St. Sepulchre, London on 16 July 1719.
Ellery, Bye, Trimmel/Trimnell, Palmer, Tanner, Ody(e), Webb, Paradise in Wiltshire.
Ellery, Painter in Gloucestershire.
Ellery, Clift in London, Middlesex and Surrey.
Clift, Rolfe in Springfield, Essex.
Ellery, McBeth/McBeath, Towar, Morrison, Young in Stirlingshire.
Young, Cuthbert in Perthshire.
Hill, Fairweather, McKinlay, Ramsay in Caithness and Edinburgh.
McNicoll, Bogue, Coupar, Bowman, Lumgair, Weir in Arbroath and Angus.