Author Topic: Eileen Alice Medd - British Red Cross  (Read 384 times)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Eileen Alice Medd - British Red Cross
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 29 November 23 18:51 GMT (UK) »
1911 entry - search Wilfred Medd b 1878 living in Bucks

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline PaulJC

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 29 November 23 20:51 GMT (UK) »
She travelled to Jamaica on 23.12.1936 - returned 26.1.1937 - first class both ways- address Gerrards Cross Bucks

Sounds like a very nice holiday for the 1930s.....
One of the medals is a Voluntary Medical Service Medal for which she would have had to serve 15 years to have been eligible.One of the documents states that she joined the BRC in 1931 so that 15 years takes her beyond the end of WW2. Gets more interesting.
I lived in Ardwick, Manchester in the early 1960s as a small child and much travelling of the world has now led me to want to know more about my roots. Carter, Beckwith, Connolly, Heron and Kelly are all names that form part of my family tree.

Offline Sc00p

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 31 January 24 12:55 GMT (UK) »
The Bucks advertiser April 04 1941 has a history of the Gerrards Cross Red cross detachment on its 10th Anniversary where she gets several mentions

"...In 1936 Mrs Condliffe became Assistant County Secretary, Miss E Medd taking the position of Commandant...."

"...The work of the detachment was greatly increased in 1938 , when war threatened...Miss E Medd qualified as C.A.G.S. at the Gas School at Falfield and conducted a number of demonstrations to the detachment and general public..."

"...Two of the mobile V.A.D. members were called up in October 1939, and Miss Medd, the Commandant was mobilised in December of that year, being posted as Assistant at Shenley Military Hospital, where she worked for a year; then being posted as Commandant to the V.A.D. Unit at Catterick Military Hospital..."

Offline PaulJC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 31 January 24 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for this additional information.

Paul
I lived in Ardwick, Manchester in the early 1960s as a small child and much travelling of the world has now led me to want to know more about my roots. Carter, Beckwith, Connolly, Heron and Kelly are all names that form part of my family tree.