Author Topic: Martha Ann Drennan/Nelson/Owens and family links, Belfast  (Read 317 times)

Offline cwatterson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Researching in all four provinces of Ireland
    • View Profile
Martha Ann Drennan/Nelson/Owens and family links, Belfast
« on: Thursday 30 November 23 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Working to trace some family links for Martha Ann Owens (died 1901 @ 7 Vistula St Belfast, daughter Martha Owens present) and I think I need some help trying to put it together from the records.

In particular, the burial record via RootsIreland shows the grave was owned by a Samuel Nelson, and I would like to know how he was related. The Belfast City Cemeteries records show the Occupants of grave D2 337, City Cemetery include Martha Owens (died 1901 aged 74), probably that Samuel Nelson (died 1913 aged 69), his wife Annie Nelson (died 1926 aged 84) and their son William Nelson (died 1904 aged 28). William when he died (civil record link) lived with his parents at 6 Twickenham St and was a French Polisher, he was married. Probably this William Nelson at 21 Woodford St with wife Letitia Nelson in 1901 census, birthplace Scotland (explains why I couldn't find his Irish civil birth). Parents Samuel and Annie (and family) as expected at 6 Twickenham St in 1901 census. Civil birth records for the births of Samuel and Annie's other children: Alexander (1873), David (1880) and Annie (1878), but also Samuel (1868) and Agnes (1870). Samuel Nelson, a chairmaker from 25 Carrick Hill, father Samuel Nelson a Draper, married Annie McDowell in 1867. Says full age so probably born before 1846.

In terms of Martha Ann Owens, she married widower James Owens in 1856 (cowkeeper from 120 Millfield, father Philip Owens a farmer), recorded as a widow from Millfield, father David Drennan a Farmer. (their grandson was christened David Drennan Owens - link, actually this is the main connection I have for Martha Ann and James' son being James Owens the father of David Drennan Owens, but that's not the focus of this post). The James Owens that Martha Ann married died in 1899 (lived 40 Vistula St, daughter Martha Owens present) and was buried in public ground.

Martha Ann Drennan's first marriage was just two years earlier in 1854 (link) at age 36 (probably the most reliable age we have) to a Samuel Nelson (42, bachelor, salesman, Sidney St Belfast, father Samuel Nelson, Woolen Draper). This was at the registrar's office.

One possibility I would have considered would be the Samuel Nelson buried with Martha Ann is a nephew of her first husband (so she would have been his aunt then). Certainly looks like about a generation between the two. (Martha Ann isn't likely as close in age as the grave record makes it seem - she was probably older per the 1854 marriage record). The issue is that the younger Samuel Nelson is recorded with his father's name as Samuel Nelson, and as a draper too.

I'd be interested in any other suggestions or pointers here.

Offline wb54

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Martha Ann Drennan/Nelson/Owens and family links, Belfast
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 December 23 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi cwatterson,
                     Just read your message, I would say most plots would be family members.
                     You could start and search for death notices in the newspapers.
                     There might be something which could help you.

You could search the Belfast Street Directory’s and see who’s living
                     at the address after the death.   It’s usually the head of house.
                     Try if any stuff on PRONI WILL’S.

Best of luck,     Billy.

ballance-belfast,derry,tyrone.parsons-dublin,belfast.lucas-tyrone,belfast.davidson-belfast,newcastle-upon-tyne.rankin-holy island,newcastle-upon-tyne.aitchison-belford,newcastle-upon-tyne,gateshead.harbottle-belford,northumberland, nz & australia.

Offline cwatterson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Researching in all four provinces of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 December 23 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, 7 Vistula Street vacant in 1901 census maybe not surprisingly. Absolutely usually there’s a family connection with those buried together, curious what the exact relationship is here given her first husband and father-in-law had the same name but the Samuel Nelson in question (grave owner) is another age (and alive). Still seems too old to be her son given the just two year window between marriages narrowing things down.

Absolutely I’ve found some great clarity from wills on PRO NI but unfortunately not in this case.

I’ll check the death notices again, I’ve found sometimes they don’t come up in search, have to literally check the relevant dates and scan through the lists.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 December 23 10:03 GMT (UK) »
You appear to be researching the same names as another member.  You may find it useful to contact her to see if her own research could be of help to you.  I am attaching the link to just one of her posts so you can contact her.  It's Peggy13

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=857031.msg7256178#msg7256178
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)