Author Topic: Cause of death help needed  (Read 841 times)

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cause of death help needed
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 02 December 23 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Assuming there was only one Henry Dunbar photographer in Dublin.
There is a death in 1905 for a Henry Michael Dunbar, photographer on Irish Genealogy
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1905/05580/4567372.pdf

There is one of those legal notices for creditors after his death which names his son Prince Arthur Dunbar 1 Regents Square St Maurice Road, York, as administrator in the Irish Independent.

Will Calendar
http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/reels/cwa/005014914/005014914_00356.pdf

I hadn't looked in the newspapers at that stage which is why I was unsure about it being the Henry I am looking for as the address was different (plus the age was different and I haven't reconciled that yet)

Thanks to you I found time today to have a firkle and found as well as reports of his death in Dec 1905, a notice in the Dublin Daily Express 22 Nov 1906 from a solicitor offering a reward for information about properties etc he was believed to have owned. That handily included what must be an almost complete set of addresses he'd lived at, including Sarsfield Quay where he was on the 1901 census and ending at No 1 Welington Quay

so thank you Sinann, your help means I'm a baby step further forward now :-)

Boo

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 02 December 23 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Apologies if you already have this.
There is a marriage in Liverpool in 1866
Henry Michael Dunbar, 21 yrs, Agent, father Henry Michael Dunbar, Soldier
Mary Jane Lowry, 23 yrs , father Daniel Lowrty Licensed Victualler

1871 3774 /120/13
They are in Liverpool where H M is a Licensed Victualler.
There is a son, Thomas, 2 yrs

Death of Mary Jane Dunbar, wife of a photographer.
There seems to be an error as the informant says ‘son’.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1889/06143/4754850.pdf

Correction maybe
Births in Liverpool with mmn Lowrey
Daniel Lowrey Dunbar 1870 - death 1871
Henry Grattan Dunbar 1871
Arthur Dunbar 1872

I can’t see a birth for Thomas though.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 02 December 23 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Baptism transcription

Thomas Dunbor b 21st May 1868
Baptised 27th May 1868
St Peter's Priory, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
Father Henrici Dunbor
Mother Maria J Lawry

GRO has the birth as Danbar
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 02 December 23 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Heywood, looks like we have found these records at around the same time, thanks, its always good to know someone else finds the same!
There is a death record in Dublin, 1889 for Mary Jane Dunbar, wife of a photographer registered by her son, Henry Dunbar. She seems to have been buried at Mount Jerome, I've  yet to find if those records are available online.

Still got a fair bit more firkling to do but its adds extra weight to the death registration in Toronto - though still stumped on the cause of death.  and I've found a possible passenger list in 1905 for a T Dunbar and a J Dunbar going to Canada, if his brother John went with him, that would explain the accuracy of the birth place and also tie in with his widow back in England getting the news and applying for admin.

I'll keep on plugging away at it gather everything I have together and as long as I end up with enough checking points its all now looking likely.
I'm actually researching Thomas' daughters, they were orphaned when their Mum died in 1907 , they and their brother ended up in 3 different orphanages so its taking me a long time.

Boo

Offline jimbo50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 02 December 23 17:51 GMT (UK) »
'Specific' can be a noun meaning a specific drug or remedy for a disease, eg a specific for malaria, so could it be that he died from adverse side effects? Though if that was the case, you might expect a mention of what it was they were trying to treat or a bit more detail of what specific it was. I can't say I find this very convincing, but I can't think of any better alternative.

I got this definition from Merriam Webster: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/specific

Quote from reed.edu
'working in a darkroom exposes the occupants to many toxic chemicals in a short amount of time and continued exposure to these chemicals can be potentially hazardous to one's health.'

1905...Might there be an overlap between 'specifics' and darkroom chemicals ?
Especially if the doctor is ignorant of the chemicals there.
Jim

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 02 December 23 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jimbo

It was his Dad who was a photographer (though he may have helped out I suppose, so its possible) the occupation for Thomas was electrician.

Though your and arthurk's suggestions are a lot more helpful than my OH who said that maybe it means 'specifically, he's dead' just in case there was any doubt.

( you can see why I ask in here to get sensible replies!)

Boo

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 02 December 23 22:22 GMT (UK) »
This link might help in respect of Mount Jerome Cemetery www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/dublin/photos/tombstones/1mj/mt-jerome-ndx.htm Can't see a name index included though  :-\

Hopefully, there will be a gravestone www.findagrave.com/memorial/174385007/mary-jane-dunbar#source

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 03 December 23 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Monica

though there's no index, I opened each one in turn and did a text search on the page for Dunbar. There are very few and none for Mary Jane.
(I realise that a name index would be easier, but it must have been a huge labour of love to help others so I'm happy to put a bit of time/effort in if I want a chance of finding info and am very grateful to the transcribers)

There was a death announcement in the Freeman's Journal, 12 April 1889, page 1 col 1 for her:

DUNBAR -  April 12 1889 at 18 Crampton Court, Dublin. Mary Jane, the beloved wife of Henry Dunbar, aged 45 years, Funeral will leave above address for Mount Jerome Cemetery at 9 o'clock on Monday morning.

So, she died Fri 12 April 1889 and was buried on Mon 15 April 1889 at Mount Jerome. Perhaps that is where the info on FindAGrave came from as there's no indication of the section/plot no.

Boo

Offline Zefiro

• RootsChat Veteran
  • breeze from the west
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 03 December 23 11:59 GMT (UK) »
A bit earlier in this register
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C9YV-M3WV?i=19&cc=1307826
last but one reads specific infection

I guess the same was meant for your Thomas.