Author Topic: where is Noone?  (Read 692 times)

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
where is Noone?
« on: Friday 01 December 23 10:26 GMT (UK) »
I came across a newspaper announcement of the marriage (in 1837) of Vesey Daly and Sophia Newcomen at Noone.  I can't find a townland or parish of that name, but it was probably a Catholic church (even though the Newcomens were Protestant).

Sophie's father had a house in Monkstown but his main residence was in the parish of Taghmaconnell (Co. Roscommon) near Ballinasloe.  Daly was a solicitor in Dublin; I don't know where his family came from.  Can anyone help?
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: where is Noone?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 December 23 10:49 GMT (UK) »
I came across a newspaper announcement of the marriage (in 1837) of Vesey Daly and Sophia Newcomen at Noone.  I can't find a townland or parish of that name, but it was probably a Catholic church (even though the Newcomens were Protestant).

Sophie's father had a house in Monkstown but his main residence was in the parish of Taghmaconnell (Co. Roscommon) near Ballinasloe.  Daly was a solicitor in Dublin; I don't know where his family came from.  Can anyone help?

Have you seen the actual newspaper report, or are you relying on an OCR transcription, which can be shall we say, subject to error?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 December 23 10:51 GMT (UK) »
There are two townlands of Nooan in Co. Clare.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 December 23 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Pre sometime between 1830 and 1850 most Catholic marriages were performed in private houses.

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 December 23 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Another daughter Jane was married in Monkstown church in 1844. I wonder was it just some sort of misprint?

**edit
I find the exact same wording in a second newspaper, also saying 'Noone church' but can find no other reference to Noone church anywhere, other than those two copies of their mariage.
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 December 23 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your swift replies.  Findmypast shows an image of the newspaper: definitely Noone though another paper has Noon.  Either could be a misprint for Nooan, though I don't know what they would have been doing in Co. Clare.  I suppose it might help if we knew who Vesey Daly's parents were.

Brabazon Newcomen had eight daughters, so it's not surprising that several of them were married in Monkstown.  A society wedding was more likely to be held there than in the wilds of Co. Roscommon.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 December 23 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Is this the Vessey Daly, the well known solicitor? - I noticed his name on Encumbered Estate court Sales. Perhaps his origins can be tracked via the legal professional societies and legal education?

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 December 23 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Yes, quite a well known solicitor, clerk of the crown for Co. Fermanagh and later for Co. Donegal.
Unusual, I think, for a Catholic to have held such offices in those days.
I conjecture that his mother was a Miss Vesey, but the name could have come into the family in an earlier generation.

I'll try to follow up your suggestion of the Law Society or whatever.

Offline athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 December 23 13:32 GMT (UK) »
The version of marriage article that I spotted was in a Limerick city newspaper the Limerick Chroncile the residences for the bride and groom both mention county, but the church does not, maybe suggesting that this church was/is somewhere near to location this paper was published ?

There seems to be two townlands named Nooan in Clare, but quite far north