Author Topic: Edwardian Photo Collection - name Hazelgrove?  (Read 1318 times)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edwardian Photo Collection - name Hazelgrove?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 03 December 23 14:21 GMT (UK) »
A very insightful analysis, vintman - thank you.

The picture with the lady shows a French manufactured car with clearly visible de Dion Bouton steering wheel and two free standing engine controls. The picture with the house shows that the car had a low mounted edged radiator without a frame or a logo. This suggests a smaller car, so probably a cca 1905 De Dion Bouton, probably with a 6HP engine....

I originally thought there were two different cars:
Besides the photo of the car you've posted, there's one of a different car next to the same house, but from another angle.

because although there are strong similarities, I noticed that the lights were different. The one in the side view (with the lady) has two large low level ones and one small high level, but the one we see head on has just one large low one and two smaller high ones. It also looks to have a rear view mirror just above the small light, but there doesn't seem to be any sign of that in the side view picture.

This suggests to me that either they're different cars, or if it's the same one, they were taken on different occasions, before and after modifications had been made.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline vintman

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 03 December 23 15:16 GMT (UK) »
The headlamps would have been acetylene and the side lamps would have been acetylene or oil; here acetylene. Both sets of lamps were removable mainly for daily refilling and cleaning. They were often left off entirely during wet daylight hours to stop tarnishing the bright brass. or they would have had a leather bag over them for same reason. Headlamps would have fitted into a 'U' shaped upright forks which says permanently on the car. The 'U" uprights fit into slots in the side of lamps and have a wing-nut to fix them. The empty fork on the right can just be seen on the house photo and empty missing sidelight bracket on the car photo.

Offline R.Hammans

• RootsChat Extra
  • Researching family history for many years...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 04 December 23 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Lovely detailed photos, glass slides, probably somebody's ex pride and joy. Cannot help much on the rest but can advise on the PHOTOS WITH THE CAR.   

Wonderfully detailed information vintman, thank you.
Now I just need to trace its owner... :)
Hammans and related spellings, Poitevin, Elliot, Garrett, Brion

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 04 December 23 11:33 GMT (UK) »
I think some of the photos are taken at Grove Park, Carshalton (not far from Gordon Road).

Photo QL-03 (pond with ducks and a bridge in the background) looks like the main image here... https://www.goparks.london/park/the-grove-park/

If you scroll down there are also waterfalls at Grove Park, maybe photo QL-07 was taken here, and possibly other photos in the collection.

Another picture of the pond/bridge here ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/rogersg/15641923047
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 04 December 23 11:44 GMT (UK) »
HL -09 is in  Norway,  Merok, (Geirangerfjord), so the others like the glacier may also be Norway.
Bulman, DUR
Butterfield DUR & N. YKS,
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS
Howe, Richardson,Thompson all DUR

William Thompson violin maker Bishop Auckland
William Thompson jun. Violin maker Leeds

Richardson in Bermondsey/East Ham, descendants of William Richardson b. 1820 Bishop Auckland

Berger, Fritsch, Ritschel, Pechanz, Funke, Endesfelder & others from Czechia

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 04 December 23 13:30 GMT (UK) »
I may have discovered where the money came from to pay for David and Harriet Hazelgrove's expensive looking headstone.

David and Harriet's first child, Mary Ann Hazelgrove, was employed as a servant to Alexander Pearson Fletcher for 40 years until his death in 1907. She was generously provided for in his will.

See this website for more details, I have posted 2 quotes below.
https://www.heenecemetery.org.uk/burial/alexander-fletcher-buried-1907/

"They employed a 19yr old nursemaid, Mary Ann Hazelgrove, born in Worthing, and she remained with Alexander for over 40 years until his death in 1907. She was generously provided for in his will – see attached report."

“Mr. Alexander Pearson Fletcher of Edenhurst, Belsize Road, Worthing, formerly director of the Northern Assurance Company, who left estate valued at £45,593 bequeathed an annuity of £25 to Miss Ada Adams until she should become an in-patient of the Putney Hospital for Incurables (of which she is now an out-pensioner) and to his servant. Mary Ann Hazelgrove, a life annuity of £100, a further annuity of £50 towards the upkeep of a suitable house in Worthing, and a considerable proportion of his furniture and other belongings, or, in lieu thereof, a further annuity of £50. He also gave one year’s wages to two other servants and £20 to his occasional gardener, George Curd.”

Alexander Pearson Fletcher and his family could be the people in the photos - more investigation needed.
Robbins - Wolverhampton.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 04 December 23 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Nice work Jool.  :)

It might be worth reading the full will in case it mentions any relatives. I’m sure that these photos would be of interest to both Fletcher and Hazlegrove descendants.

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 04 December 23 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruskie  :)

I've been trying to find photos of the Fletcher family to see if they are the same people in the photo collection, no luck.

There are quite a few mentions in various newspapers on Findmypast, particularly relating to their deaths and wills, and I was hoping there may be a photograph.  Unfortunately my Findmypast sub has expired so I can't view the original articles  :(

If any kind person has a sub and the time to take a look for a photo or more information, here are the people I spotted in the newspaper snippets.

Alexander Pearson Fletcher, died Dec 1907, Worthing, Sussex.
Charles Robert Leslie Fletcher, died Apr 1934, Oxford.  (only son of Alexander)
Mary Ann Hazelgrove, died June 1910, Lindfield, Sussex.

Robbins - Wolverhampton.

Offline R.Hammans

• RootsChat Extra
  • Researching family history for many years...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 05 December 23 10:35 GMT (UK) »
This is all remarkable information and my thanks go to all who have taken the time to do some digging on this. It seems that a clearer picture is emerging of this family and their domestic staff, their  wealth and location.

£45,593 in 1907 equates to around £7,000,000 today, quite a legacy!
His son left the equivalent of £2.5 million when he died in 1934.

I'm wondering if their only son, Charles Fletcher, was perhaps the photographer?
I hope someone is researching the Fletchers of Worthing as it would be wonderful to return the pictures to a descendant.
Hammans and related spellings, Poitevin, Elliot, Garrett, Brion