Author Topic: Edwardian Photo Collection - name Hazelgrove?  (Read 1319 times)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edwardian Photo Collection - name Hazelgrove?
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 05 December 23 14:12 GMT (UK) »
I'm wondering if their only son, Charles Fletcher, was perhaps the photographer?
I hope someone is researching the Fletchers of Worthing as it would be wonderful to return the pictures to a descendant.

I wondered that too. I suspect the old chap in the car (and other photos) will be Alexander Pearson Fletcher, but my impression was that the driver in the head-on photo of the car was younger. I wondered if that might be Charles - the photo could have been taken by someone else under instruction, though I'm fairly sure that one of the photos I have of a similar age was taken by a keen amateur photographer with some kind of self-timer. Note that the car is stationary in both photos. (I note vintman's earlier comment about the lights, but I still think the question of it having a mirror or not probably suggests two different occasions.)

I still have a few queries in my head about locations. I had a look for Fletchers in and around Carshalton in the 1901 and 1911 censuses, but didn't see anyone obviously related. However, there must have been some reason for them to be there.

Then there's the car with the Norwich registration. Had someone driven down from Norwich, and if so, who? Or was the car second-hand? The Fletchers were clearly wealthy enough to buy new, and something much bigger, though they might of course have preferred not to - Alexander may have been a canny Scot  ;).

I've also been looking at some of the other photos in the collection. I only know it from pictures, but could QP-06 be Box Hill? Is it the same as https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/activityandadventure/walkingholidays/8356605/Box-Hill-Surrey-walk-of-the-week.html? Might some of the HP-xx ones be there too? And the bridge at HL-29/30 looks identifiable too....
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
Re: Edwardian Photo Collection - name Hazelgrove?
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 05 December 23 20:25 GMT (UK) »
I still have a few queries in my head about locations. I had a look for Fletchers in and around Carshalton in the 1901 and 1911 censuses, but didn't see anyone obviously related. However, there must have been some reason for them to be there.

I've been trying to find a connection between the Worthing Fletchers and Carshalton.

In 1911 the occupiers of "Braeside" 99 Gordon Road, Carshalton (the house in the photo) were Walter Harold Poucher and his wife Lily (nee Pooley). I can't find a connection between these people and the Fletchers.

However, next door at "Bantry" is Edward Merry Owen (son of Edward Owen and Sarah Elizabeth Merry) and his wife Eliza. Coincidentally (or not?) Charles R.L. Fletcher married Alice Katharine Collings Merry (daughter of William Walter Merry and Alice Elizabeth Collings).  I haven't been able to confirm a "Merry" family connection but it seems a bit of a coincidence.
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton