Author Topic: Accessing the 1841 Census for a particular street  (Read 278 times)

Offline Bilham

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Accessing the 1841 Census for a particular street
« on: Friday 01 December 23 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Good evening
I'm wanting to look at the 1841 census pages for the High Street Hull. I'd like to see if I can spot two of my relatives who may have lived there. When they married on 22 August 1841 the male (John Thompson) says he lived at 4 High St Hull and the female (Lois Heaton or Hayton) on the "same street". When I do searches in Ancestry for either of them they do not appear and yet the census was only a couple of months earlier. This is why I'd like to go through the record, page by page for the High Street.
Is there any way to do this?
Thank you!

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Accessing the 1841 Census for a particular street
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 December 23 19:53 GMT (UK) »
You can search for census addresses at FindMyPast and The Genealogist, but if you don't have access to either of those it's worth trying the archived indexes at the National Archives, which cover larger towns and cities:

https://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ukgwa/20121228200517/http://yourarchives.nationalarchives.gov.uk/index.php?title=Help:Census_Street_searches

From this, in 1841 High Street in Hull appears to be in 6 different parts:

https://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ukgwa/20121227162004/http://yourarchives.nationalarchives.gov.uk/index.php?title=Place:Hull_Registration_District,_1841_Census_Street_Index_G-K

You can then use the references to find the relevant pages on whichever site you're at, and browse from there.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 December 23 01:32 GMT (UK) »

What name do you see for witnesses.....who might have lived at 4 High St Hull?

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 December 23 01:54 GMT (UK) »

What name do you see for witnesses.....who might have lived at 4 High St Hull?

Thomas Dawson, Mary Dawson. Both marked.

there is a Thomas and Mary DAWSON in High Street. both given as 30
Thomas is a Mariner
apparent children
John 8
William 6
Jane 4
Joseph 1

also Richard Skelton 25 a labourer & Elizabeth Skelton 25

on the marriage, John's father Jacob is given as 'late' but Lois's is not
he is John Heaton a farmer.

Offline Bilham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 December 23 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the help.
Poor understanding of processes mean that I can't seem to get to see the High Steet in order or with house numbers and before I know it I'm in Grimsby Road! However, I can't see John Thompson or Loies Heaton anywhere. Thanks for the idea of looking for the witnesses (Thomas & Mary Dawson). I found a few Dawsons with the most likely being a couple aged 30 but, unfortunately no John Thompson or Loies Heaton. Their location in the 1841 census remains a mystery I'm afraid.
I do have a findmypast membership but couldn't seem to get into the full house by house census. I fear it will be my poor abilities rather than an issue with data!

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 December 23 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the help.
Poor understanding of processes mean that I can't seem to get to see the High Steet in order or with house numbers and before I know it I'm in Grimsby Road! ....
I do have a findmypast membership but couldn't seem to get into the full house by house census. I fear it will be my poor abilities rather than an issue with data!

There are two ways to do this at FindMyPast:

1. Select Search at the top of any page, then on the right of the menu Search Addresses. Enter 1841 Census, High Street, Hull - I would have expected that to work, but you need to set the search radius to 5 miles to get any results. Apart from a handful outside of Hull, this gives loads of results for High Street and various courts and entries off it.

2. Search > Search All Records > type 1841 and select 1841 Census. On the resulting page you could try searching on a street name etc (I didn't so I don't know how well it works), but I think a more reliable method would be to use the archived street indexes that I mentioned in Reply #1 and search with the references that they give.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk