Author Topic: is this "my" Isaac Stickland?  (Read 534 times)

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: is this "my" Isaac Stickland?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 05 December 23 11:02 GMT (UK) »
I suspected they moved to Ireland and I found John  Major's will earlier today, to confirm.
He names children: William James Major, Bessie Jane Hall, Mary Spence Bannon, Catherine Ann Major.

William was b Meonstoke abt 1852, Catherine b Antrim, Ireland abt 1854, Bessie and Mary are on 1851 census in IOW.
Son, Frederick not mentioned, maybe died or had  his share earlier or they fell out.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 December 23 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Going back to George and Ann you mentioned earlier. I think he might be the George b abt 1787 who is with Thomas Strickland and his family in 1871. He is down as lodger but is possibly father. Some trees have him as son of Thomas Stickland and Mary?, which would make him the brother of my direct ancestor, William Stickland and also brother to "my" Isaac. I can't find his baptism, but there is a convenient gap that I  have for Thomas snr and Mary's children, between Sarah 1785 and Betty 1789, so it is possible he's another brother
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline elliot

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 05 December 23 22:09 GMT (UK) »
I was surprised to find some STICKLANDs on my tree.
Henry STICKLAND
1851–1926
BIRTH ABT 1851 • Puddletown, Dorset, England
DEATH 1926 • Newport ISLE OF WIGHT
 with 5 daughters and a son.
Only the last 2 daughters were actually born on the IoW at  Great East Standen, Arreton, Isle of Wight

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 05 December 23 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Frederic Arnold was not his son as mentioned previously he was born 1847 son of Frederic Arnold and Susannah nee Stickland/ Strickland.

I wonder if they took him with them to Ireland or left him with grand parents?

Congratulations on finding the will, always useful to prove family relationships.

Offline Drayke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 05:00 GMT (UK) »
In the will of Isaac Stickland of IOW that was left in 1846 he mentions his sister Mary Spickernell wife of Joshua Spickernell.

This Mary would be Mary daughter of Thomas Stickland (Isaac's father in the baptism record you state) who was baptised 12 Jan 1777 in Christchurch. Mary Stickland married Joshua Spickernell 18 May 1802 in Christchurch and both are listed as being of Christchurch. Both Joshua and Mary (birth year shown as 1777 same as her baptism) are living in Christchurch in the 1851 census.

Considering the Mary Spickernell in the 1851 census is stated to be born 1777 which is the same as the only Mary Stickland born to a Thomas in Christchurch, it would seem that Isaac of IOW and of Christchurch were the same person.

Not sure if you have this, however, Thomas Stickland (Isaacs father) married by the looks Mary Scott on 4 Oct 1774 in Christchurch. His name is listed as Thomas Sticklen.

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 07:45 GMT (UK) »
In the will of Isaac Stickland of IOW that was left in 1846 he mentions his sister Mary Spickernell wife of Joshua Spickernell.

Thank you very much, I had seen the Spickernell surname in the will, but totally missed the family connection. So it looks as if that settles it about Isaac - one and the same. And confirms where another of my DNA matches links to me.
Yes I  had Thomas and Mary Scott's marriage. My only concern was that I found a John Stickland baptised a few months before their marriage s/o Thomas. Maybe his second marriage.

Offline Drayke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much, I had seen the Spickernell surname in the will, but totally missed the family connection. So it looks as if that settles it about Isaac - one and the same. And confirms where another of my DNA matches links to me.
Yes I  had Thomas and Mary Scott's marriage. My only concern was that I found a John Stickland baptised a few months before their marriage s/o Thomas. Maybe his second marriage.
Not a problem at all.

As to the question regarding John Stickland s/o Thomas, the only John born to a Thomas Stickland in Christchurch I can find is a John born 31 Aug 1779 and baptised 9 Jan 1780 which would be after their marriage of 1774.

There is a John Stickland baptised 18 Jun 1775 and born to a John Stickland however. That said the registers are a little messy so perhaps I have missed the one you found.

Probably seen this as well though thought I would mention it just in case. There is also a marriage of an Isaac Sticlen to an Elizabeth Randle in 9 Oct 1741 Christchurch which may be worth looking into for Thomas's father considering he named a child Isaac.

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 12:24 GMT (UK) »
I've just checked on John (Sticklin) 1774. The baptism was at Holdenhurst not Christchurch,, so probably a different Thomas was the father.
I hadn't seen the earlier Isaac, I hadn't got as far as Thomas's parents, but Isaac does seem a possibility, thank you again

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Holdenhurst would have been walking distance from Christchurch, so don’t dismiss it out of hand.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.