Author Topic: What is the name of this parish please?  (Read 500 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: What is the name of this parish please?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 December 23 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you!

That C of I list contains the baptism of one of the children I knew about: John Wilkie, baptised 5 January 1814 in Ballincollig Ordnance Chapel. So that is confirmation that Ballincollig is the right parish, and that James Wilkie served there with the Royal Artillery.

James Wilkie was originally Presbyterian* but the five younger children baptised in Scotland were Roman Catholic, so I assumed that he must have converted when he married Bridget Driscoll. After her death he married another Catholic with an Irish name, Esther O'Neill, but she was born in Scotland. All known descendants of both marriages were Catholic.

*Digression - I don't think that his family were notably devout because his father wouldn't attend church services. The Kirk Session "therefore were of opinion that he had no right to the sealing ordinances of the Gospel whilst he continued in this criminal neglect of attending the public worship of God in the Church upon the Lord's Day - they therefore did and hereby do suspend him from all sealing ordinances of the Gospell untill he give evidence of his repentance and reformation". Not really the cleverest way to deal with him! So his wife had to present the children for baptism instead.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 04 December 23 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank you!

That C of I list contains the baptism of one of the children I knew about: John Wilkie, baptised 5 January 1814 in Ballincollig Ordnance Chapel. So that is confirmation that Ballincollig is the right parish, and that James Wilkie served there with the Royal Artillery.

Yes, I was going to point that out. Says he was a Driver, RA, and the register also lists his specific unit, which may help in locating further army records?

Just to note that there were no Presbyterian army chaplains, at least in Ireland, that I know of.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 04 December 23 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again, Wexflyer.

I've just been following up the son John - he spent most of his life in Glasgow, and he remained RC throughout. I can't find a death certificate, but he was married twice and the second marriage was after the start of civil registration and confirms that his mother was Bridget Driscoll.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Something has been nagging at me since I read the transcription of the Ballincollig barracks CofI register, and I think I have figured out what it is.

It is that according to the transcription, James Wilke served in the "9th Battalion" of the Royal Artillery.

Problem is that at least latterly, the RA did not have any battalions! It had batteries, organized into brigades. Now the abbreviation for battery can be Bat, which some transcribers mistakenly assume is an abbreviation for battalion. I suspect that that may be what occurred here?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. I have to admit that I had no idea about that, and I am still a bit hazy about many aspects of the organisation of the military :)

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. I have to admit that I had no idea about that, and I am still a bit hazy about many aspects of the organisation of the military :)

I suspect the original was an abbreviation for either battery (Bat) battery or brigade (B or BGD) but has been transcribed as battalion. Would be nice to see the original.