Author Topic: Sentenced to 1 day in prison, Sheffield  (Read 229 times)

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sentenced to 1 day in prison, Sheffield
« on: Saturday 02 December 23 20:45 GMT (UK) »
On 28th May 1920 Sheffield magistrates sentenced Rose Artliff to 1 day's imprisonment for abandoning her three children home alone while she walked to Nottingham from Sheffield to find the father of two of her three children (she had just completed a month's sentence in Nottingham for criminal damage).  She was heavily pregnant with a fourth child. Her three children were in the Sheffield Workhouse and she refused to be admitted there, so the one day sentence was "the only course which seemed human" to the Bench.  What is odd is that the very next day she gave birth to the child in the Nottingham Workhouse.  She was the informant on the birth certificate.
What I need to know is:
1. Where would she spend one day in prison?  I assumed Wakefield but maybe they just kept her in the cells in Sheffield for a day?
2. How did she get to Nottingham?  The first time she went, she walked there.  As she was the informant on the birth certificate, did she lie about the date?  Surely she didn't walk to Nottinham again in that condition? 
Just trying, and failing, to get my head around this, if anyone has any suggestions.
Pearson (Bradwell Dby & Stocksbridge)
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Evans (Bradwell Dby and Stocksbridge)
Crossley (Penistone)
Rogers (Nottinghamshire & Stocksbridge)
Poynton / Pointon (Derbyshire)
Day (Barnsley WRY and Iowa USA)
Scargill (Barnsley)