Author Topic: where was Marguerite Terrace, Belfast?  (Read 756 times)

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: where was Marguerite Terrace, Belfast?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 04 December 23 15:55 GMT (UK) »
If you have access to FindMyPast you might wish to check out these - they appeared Jan-Jun 1900. Note both sisters identified as living together.
Will follow with later adverts which give the impression they occupied separate premises.

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 04 December 23 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Oops - sent the wrong snippet, dated Jan 1901. It should have been included in this second set.
Sending Dec 1900 and Jan 1901 where the address becomes Nos 541 and 6 - giving the impression they lived apart?
Later adverts also give this impression.

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 04 December 23 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Interesting.  If we assume that the illogically numbered 4 Rosetta Avenue was 1 Marguerite Terrace, then 541 Ormeau Road was no. 6 (see the splendid image sent by Shaun).
The conclusion is that the sisters lived together but each had her own way of expressing the address -- or one may have made her will before Ballynafeigh Road was renamed.

I assume they caught some disease which carried them both off in a space of a few hours.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 04 December 23 16:22 GMT (UK) »
The 21 Jun 1900 snippet (already posted) has Elizabeth at No. 541 - no mention of Margaret. I did wonder why only one mentioned or whether 2 separate notices appeared in the papers and I have yet to find Margaret's?

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 04 December 23 16:27 GMT (UK) »
If I was a betting man I wouldn't be averse to putting my money on Nos 541 and No 6 being one and the same.
Years ago I attended a talk about addresses and changes over the years, We were advised that "Terraces" were a particular problem.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 04 December 23 16:56 GMT (UK) »
If I was a betting man I wouldn't be averse to putting my money on Nos 541 and No 6 being one and the same.

I agree.
See the Google Street View in reply #14, where the terrace closer to the centre of Belfast, has eight terrace houses with number 541 Ormeau Road and terrace house number 6 corresponding.   (Currently the one next to the blue door).

https://www.google.com/maps/@54.5706029,-5.9140765,3a,37.5y,262.01h,102.92t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sEMJua1kSBH9Ob1IWbt1MFw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 04 December 23 17:01 GMT (UK) »

I agree.
See the Google Street View in reply #14, where the terrace closer to the centre of Belfast, has eight terrace houses with number 541 Ormeau Road and terrace house number 6 corresponding.   (Currently the one next to the blue door).

https://www.google.com/maps/@54.5706029,-5.9140765,3a,37.5y,262.01h,102.92t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sEMJua1kSBH9Ob1IWbt1MFw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

Also my view - Marguerite Terrace comprised 8 properties and 541 "fits" no 6 in the row.

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 04 December 23 18:15 GMT (UK) »
There was a William Robert Cousins, 8 Marguerite Terrace, editor of the Belfast Evening Telegraph, death notice in Ulster Echo April  28 1887.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 04 December 23 18:36 GMT (UK) »
There was a William Robert Cousins, 8 Marguerite Terrace, editor of the Belfast Evening Telegraph, death notice in Ulster Echo April  28 1887.

As long as a No. 9 or greater doesn't pop I'll be happy!
regards