Author Topic: where was Marguerite Terrace, Belfast?  (Read 757 times)

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: where was Marguerite Terrace, Belfast?
« Reply #27 on: Monday 04 December 23 18:45 GMT (UK) »

PRONI Will Calendars
https://apps.proni.gov.uk/WillsCalendar_IE/WillsSearch.aspx

Full Abstract :
Letters of Administration of the personal estate of William Bryars late of 2 Marguerite-terrace Rosetta Belfast Retired School Teacher who died 24 May 1890 at same place were granted at Belfast to John Samuel Bryers of Newtownards-road Belfast Surgeon a Son.

Full Abstract :
The Will of Mary Jane Bryars late of Marguerite-terrace Rosetta Belfast Widow who died 26 August 1894 at same place was proved at Belfast by James Henry Hamilton of Wolfhill-villa Ligoniel County Antrim Mill Manager and John Samuel Bryars of 227 Newtownards-road Belfast Surgeon the Executors.

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 04 December 23 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Belfast Telegraph 3 Apr 1913

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 05 December 23 07:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, that confirms it.

And the death of William Cousins in 1887 is also relevant, because it tells us the earliest date when my relative could have moved to no. 8.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 05 December 23 08:39 GMT (UK) »
And the death of William Cousins in 1887 is also relevant, because it tells us the earliest date when my relative could have moved to no. 8.

Here's the death record - 28/4/1887  No #93
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1887/06216/4778880.pdf

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 05 December 23 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Given Invermore was sold in 1889, so after her death, do you have any inkling why, in her advancing years, and if it was after the death of William Cousins in 1887, she would have moved to the city in c 1887/1888 (and as per one of the Codicils to her will, was there by at least June 1888)?

I can only see her named at Inver until 1883 in the Valuation books. She is not recorded in the Inver page for 1884-1892.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 05 December 23 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Given Invermore was sold in 1889 ...

Good detective work, scotmum.  The last two Casement occupants of Invermore House were the unmarried sisters Jane and Grace.  Jane died in early 1886 (at Invermore as far as I know) of "softening of the brain".

The book Mysterious Ireland by Sheila St Clair (Robert Hale, London, 1994) says that the house was haunted when the author visited it in 1981.  Among the manifestations were a moaning noise and banshee-like shrieks, but they didn't foretell a death in the house.  I wonder whether it was the demented wailings of Jane, and that is what prompted Grace to leave the house.  I can't explain why she doesn't appear in the valuation books after 1883 (nor where she might have been until 8 Marguerite Terrace became vacant) -- and of course there must have been many other occupants since the house was sold in 1889.  Nor do I know why it took some months, even after her will was proved, before it was sold.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 05 December 23 15:07 GMT (UK) »
I'd been wondering why No 551 Ormeau Road showed No 3 in the fanlight? Checked Belfast Directories (can't understand why I didn't go there from the outset) and dug up -
https://streetdirectories.proni.gov.uk/media/y0cmmpera-JH2qIXqVOBpw..a?ts=r5iIVEhdYOPaennXQcSbC7Byb8O6RFDjK6Q3NkY8ZLE.a

551 was No.3 Rosetta Terrace.

I can see a Grace Casement at 38 Dock Street in a number of Directories.

Correction - think this is a different Grace, apologies.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 05 December 23 16:06 GMT (UK) »

I'd been wondering why No 551 Ormeau Road showed No 3 in the fanlight?

Just adding info to your discovery.

From https://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/nopcomplete1901.htm
Rosetta Terrace (No 3)
551. Lindsay, Benjamin, chief clerk G.P.O.

PRONI Will (Calendar)
Full Abstract :
Lindsay Elizabeth of 3 Rosetta Terrace Ballynafeigh Belfast widow died 13 November 1945 Probate Belfast 26 March to Anna Elizabeth Lewis married woman. Effects £15227 6s. 4d.