Author Topic: where was Marguerite Terrace, Belfast?  (Read 760 times)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: where was Marguerite Terrace, Belfast?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 03 December 23 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Were you able to open the Newtonbreda Road area map on the PRONI link, then use the layers option to overlay one of the historic maps, eg from c1900?
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Online HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 03 December 23 12:05 GMT (UK) »
No, but somewhere else I found the 1901 OS map, 1:10000 scale, which shows the row of terrace houses opposite the "Old Church", now numbers 539 to 561 (approx.) Ormeau Road.
I suppose those are the ones, but there's no direct evidence.
I'll try asking the city council -- though recently I had a reply to a message I sent them a year ago!

Thanks for your help.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Online HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 03 December 23 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Yes, those are the ones opposite St John's church, but there's nothing to say it was called Marguerite Terrace.  I didn't like to go knocking on people's doors on a Sunday morning, and the present occupants probably wouldn't know anyway.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 03 December 23 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Yes, those are the ones opposite St John's church, but there's nothing to say it was called Marguerite Terrace.  I didn't like to go knocking on people's doors on a Sunday morning, and the present occupants probably wouldn't know anyway.
Have a look at ShaunJ's streetview - no 551. Above the door it shows "3". I think this might be its original No. as part of Marguerite Terrace? Look at the roofline and the style of house changes at No. 547 which would be No. 1 Marguerite Terrace.
Checking the "Houses for Sale/Let" in newspapers the houses in Marguerite Terrace had front and back gardens.
Any thoughts

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 03 December 23 15:21 GMT (UK) »

There appear to be nine houses in the terrace (Marguerite Terrace?), running from no 547 to no 563, on the corner of St Johns Avenue. All have back gardens.

https://www.google.com/maps/@54.5703385,-5.9134027,62a,35y,270h,45.05t/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 03 December 23 16:02 GMT (UK) »
I had tried to determine how many houses might have made up the terrace from "walking" Streetview - but the St John's Ave end was obscured by trees/hedges etc. I have only seen Nos 1-8 for Marguerite Terrace when checking newspapers (which doesn't mean there wasn't a No 9 or higher).

Revisiting Proni I see there are 8 dwellings from Rosetta Ave to No 545. One 1893 advert reads "... 5-8 Marguerite Terrace, immediately opposite Rosetta Park ...." I think I've also seen " ... Marguerite Terrace, Rosetta Avenue ...".

So frustrating! 

Online HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 03 December 23 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that: kind of you to go to the trouble. 
However, Rosetta Park and Rosetta Avenue are opposite each other.
I think it must mean between the ends of Rosetta Avenue and St John's Avenue,
or opposite Knockbreda Road, which brings us back to roughly opposite St John's church.

I do appreciate the detective skills of Rootschatters!

Oh, and Grace died at no. 8, so it doesn't matter too much whether there were higher numbers.
I assume no. 1 was at the end nearer the centre of town.  I'll pop back in daylight and see whether I can work out which current number could have been no. 8.

Online HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 04 December 23 14:02 GMT (UK) »
I admit it hadn't occurred to me that if I enter the name of a ficticious person Marguerite Terrace, then Findmypast responds with numerous newspaper references (in this case advertisements).
As hanes teulu found, a couple of them say "opposite Rosetta Park", which is roughly true for house no. 1.  Others say Ballynafeigh Road, but after about 1898 it's Ormeau Road: evidently the name changed about then.

A puzzle is that the 1901 OS map shows a row of eight houses filling the space between the ends of Rosetta Avenue and St John's Avenue, whereas there are now twice as many in that row.  I don't know whether the eight were demolished and replaced by narrower ones at some stage.  Never mind: I think we can be reasonably certain that it's the row opposite the end of Knockbreda Road.

My thanks to all who helped.