Author Topic: ARCULUS  (Read 207 times)

Offline redbrier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
ARCULUS
« on: Sunday 03 December 23 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I'm posting here on the off chance that anyone can help me confirm the origins of the ARCULUS name.

I have been told that there are families by that name still living on the canals around Warwickshire; I have also seen variations of the name Arculus in the travelling community (Arkless, Hercules). I haven't yet been able to tie our families together on paper though, despite being told by mutual friends that I must be related to the Arculus families on the canals.

I do have boatmen in the family (Dance, Bill, Wenlock, Wedgbury, Poulton) but they are on the other side of the family to the Arculus.

I also suspect a Romani link, due to information from traveller friends, and my own DNA (attached), but I know that is only estimates and could be from anywhere. I have an illegitimate 2 x great grandmother on the Arculus side which doesn't help with trying to pin all this down. (I have also been told that many Finneys claim Romani ancestry, but my Finney grandmother hotly denied that).

So basically, any information on the Arculus name or its variations would be gratefull received. If anyone can definitely rule out a link between Arculus and the travelling community at least that would be one less avenue to follow!
Thanks in advance.

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: ARCULUS
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 December 23 19:03 GMT (UK) »
If you gather together all of your Asian it is around 5% though probably not all will be Romani. I have Asia South Pashtun 8.6%, yet going back 5 generations I cannot find any trace. As DNA is diluted with every generation, somewhere in my past there must be a strong link, or more than one. Finding it though is a different matter, as on both sides I have hit a brick wall with illegitimate children.