Author Topic: Marshall School photo late 19th Century  (Read 651 times)

Offline Mildred298

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marshall School photo late 19th Century
« on: Sunday 03 December 23 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
Attached is a scan of a photo in my possession. I think my nan is included in the photo but to gain a bit more certainty, I was wondering if anyone may be able to help with dating and place of the photo. I think it's South London, probably Southwark. I note that some children are wearing a badge or medal. I think my nan is the young girl back row, right side, next to the school mistress. There is no writing on the original.
Thanks for any advice,
Mildred

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marshall School photo late 19th Century
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 December 23 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mildred and welcome to the board, Judging by the sleeves on the teacher's dress, far right on the back row, I would say it could be mid-late 1890s.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 December 23 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Around 1900 but NOT an expert, sorry.

Offline Mildred298

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 December 23 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the enhancement. I've now had two versions; thanks to both of you. Much clearer. If it is her, she was at school around 1901. I have a record of her schooling at Harper Street around that time. I was hoping to tie it down more but also wondered what the medal crosses are that some children are wearing. I think they may be Victorian Boar War crosses. This would reinforce the date again. I'm guessing the number two on the ground in front of the front row of children was the class number.
Mildred

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 December 23 18:12 GMT (UK) »
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Mildred298

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 December 23 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Carol,
that does again reinforce the late 1890s. Was there a big change in the early years of the 20th century?

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 December 23 19:39 GMT (UK) »
In the Edwardian era, big hats were in fashion, ladies dress also for some, became a little masculine with many women favouring the blouses with ties...the Suffragette Movement was active during this period too.

Scroll down to "Domestic"

https://www.familysearch.org/en/blog/1900s-fashion-edwardian-era

Carol

Offline Mildred298

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 December 23 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Yes,big hats and studio photos. I have a few family photos taken in studios. Here's my other Nan and Great Aunt with big hats and another fashion of the day; the wrist strap and pocket watch! Any clues on date. I don't think they would have been able to afford those clothes and certainly not the watches, so I'm guessing studio props. Date: I think around 1916. What do you think?

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 December 23 14:21 GMT (UK) »
These pocket watches set in a strap and worn by women were popular around 1916.
I gave it clean for you.
Carol