Author Topic: Castle Hotel/Inn Haverfordwest  (Read 194 times)

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Castle Hotel/Inn Haverfordwest
« on: Sunday 03 December 23 23:01 GMT (UK) »
I would like to research more information on the Castle Hotel/Inn in Haverfordwest.

In particular, as to when my ancestor David Rees (1757-1837) became a partner in its lease before 1797 and the names of the other lessees.

Maybe someone had access to when the Barlow family constructed the building.

My ancestor David Rees sold his lease to Lewis Pugh in 1805 (newspaper article attached). Lewis Pugh also returned there in 1820 from Derby farm St. Issels Haroldston, when Rees brought back his lease of Derby farm.
Attached also an imaged of the hotel.
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Castle Hotel/Inn Haverfordwest
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 December 23 13:18 GMT (UK) »
It is a little hard from the otherside of the World, but I just found a possible good clue:

3 Feb 1756
Deposit Box of Mrs. Owen Barlow of Lawrenny Hall

Hugh Barlow of Lawrenny
Richard Summers of Haverfordwest
Messuage, stables, yard and garden called the Ship & Castle Inn in the Parish of St. Martin Haverfordwest
D-LLW/17

D-LLW/..
24 Aug 1779 called Ship & Castle Inn

Keith
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End