Author Topic: Registration Act  (Read 1803 times)

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Registration Act
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 December 23 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Goldie - I got so confused with the later children and delated it

:)
Too late at night here for me now - I'm easily confused! :)
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 04 December 23 10:07 GMT (UK) »
The date in 1850 almost certainly refers to the date of a previous marriage, not the date of the act of parliament.... it is in the "condition" column so seems to be telling us they are already married.

Marrying "by certificate" refers to the civil process of giving "notice to marry" instead of having banns read. This is unusual for a church wedding, but equally valid and is seen occasionally. I suspect that refers to the original ceremony, not this one.

But it does seem a very unusual record if the wife of 1850 did die soon after the wedding. If this wife was a sister of his deceased wife, as suggested, was this an attempt to circumvent  the restriction on such a marriage by somehow claiming this was the same woman and this was a blessing ceremony ( which therefore shouldn't have been registered) ?

Marrying as Elizabeth HOLE could be because she had been living under that name for some time, and as such quite proper (and legal) to marry in that name.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 04 December 23 10:35 GMT (UK) »
The first marriage was 28 November 1850 https://tinyurl.com/3hm38m6d
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tfordcan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 08 December 23 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your input.  Just for further background, Charles John Hole's first marriage Nov 28, 1850 to Ann Portington Spring was in the Registrar's office by certificate.  His second marriage in 1857 was by certificate but performed in the church by a vicar.  No children from the first marriage (though as mentioned Ann had an illegitimate child in 1840.  The second marriage produced 8 children Charles 1854, Louisa 1857, Elizabeth 1860, Henrietta 1863, Harriet 1865, Emily 1868, Herbert John 1869 and Louisa 2 in 1870.  The GRO lists the first two Charles and Louisa as having a MMN as Edwards as does Emily, the other children have MMN as Spring.  I am comfortable that this is the same family as the first two have a baptism at the same address as the 1857 marriage 10 Titchborne Row and Elizabeth the 3rd child is baptized the same day as Louisa again at 10 Titchborne Row and the fathers full name is Charles John, cordwainer.  All the available baptism records indicate Charles John and Elizabeth Hole as parents. The mother Elizabeth lists POB Exeter on all the census records and on the 1921 census specifically states St Sidwell Exeter, her DOB is indicated as 1832 to 1836 with 3 of them including the 1921 census indicating 1832.  I have one Elizabeth Edwards born in 1832 in St Sidwell however no Elizabeth Spring.  I have no understanding as to why Elizabeth lists William Spring as her father on the marriage record and I can locate no Elizabeth Spring that fits. Nor why she used Edwards and Spring as a maiden name.  I do note that the probate for the first wife did not complete until 1893 the time of the death of Charles John even though she passed in 1850.  Anyway the search continues.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 08 December 23 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Gosh yes that admin does just beg more questions!
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 09 December 23 07:19 GMT (UK) »
I would guess that property (or assets) held in joint names?
So probate could not be completed until both parties had died.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)