Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 10th December  (Read 3161 times)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Diary summary week ending 10th December
« on: Monday 04 December 23 08:32 GMT (UK) »
Good morning  all
Hope everyone is feeling  a bit warmer, it was quite a mild night, dull and wet here in Essex, we have to think ourselves lucky as some have heavy snow, just keep safe and warm.

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 10th December
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 December 23 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Flooded roads here yet again, though we managed to get through the water to our nearest town for some shopping.  There are three roads out of the village, but each one was affected to some extent, of course.  The trainee Commandos from the Royal Marines were out jogging along the road in large numbers, tough chaps.  It rained all morning, but is easing a little this afternoon.  This evening we will be holding our club's Christmas Dinner at the local pub, but it's only a 5 minute walk for me and I'm hoping to walk up there in the dry. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 December 23 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Hope you manage  to get out for your dinner tonight, it is a really  miserable day here, not raining as such but there is moisture in the air if that makes sense and the roads are wet.

My brother must be affected in Devon I suppose, it wasn't very good for him last week, he lives right on the coast and has good views out across the estuary.

I started my Christmas cards today, I haven't done it before but I have included personnel letters this time, each tailored to each couple, not like a round Robin, because of Covid and how things are now we haven't really done any visits  so it is my way of keeping in touch, I am a people person but haven't managed any visiting and don't think we can now.

Our local radio was complaining about the post,  one person suggested they finish their day at about 1.30 and what  is left they won't get done , we have started to get post  spasmodically I might add at about 9am as it used to be  nearer lunch time.

Take care, keep dry and warm.

LM

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 December 23 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Garden ponds thawing steadily, birds now looking less grumpy, but still small "icebergs" floating around in ponds. Glad to see the back of that nasty white, cold stuff.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 December 23 15:53 GMT (UK) »
We don't get postal deliveries Saturday or Sunday!
And the Mail Plane has been withdrawn from service - so all mail & parcels have to come on the overnight boat
Can take 2 days longer.

Wet here, but not much snow.
Mountain Road has been closed, but that's not unusual.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 December 23 23:59 GMT (UK) »
A wet and miserable day here today too.. so was yesterday.. going to get milder in my neck of the woods by the w/e apparently!

Just coming back to normal after out Christmas Fayre on Saturday… my goodness the weather was cold but fortunately it didn’t stop people turning out… think they could smell the bacon baps and hot soup 😂😂 it went down well.
We were all cream crackered by Saturday night but all our hard work making the hall twinkle with lighting and the Christmas tree we had up added to a lovely atmosphere which was commented on by stall holders and punters too.
Last panic on Friday night when I had a message from the glass art lady to say she and family all poorly.. that was after someone pulled out as she & hubbie both had covid poor souls.
We picked ourselves up and everyone else had a bit more space and more little tables for people to enjoy the refreshments.
Having done a final count today we’re going to be able to give Nothants Young Carers about £1450..
They intend to use some of it for presents for the children and throw them a party which I’m sure they’ll all enjoy.
Having said I’m not going to be IC in two yrs time when come to hold the event again I got shot down in flames by the rest of the girls saying they wouldn’t do it without me… they’re such a nice bunch and I felt very humbled… so expect I will be doing it 😂😂.
Now it’s making Christmas cards and getting them posted… not so many this year with the cost though…
 we have a village collection and they get distributed around the village which is useful… think my abroad ones might be getting an e card.. I use Marie Curie so at least I can give them a good donation.
Interesting what’s said about deliveries… ours come at all times of the day..after 3pm today!
Well hope everyone enjoys their Christmas parties..

Take care

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 December 23 08:33 GMT (UK) »
Well  done Caroline, what a great result, sometimes it is a thankless task but when it all turns out ok  we can sit back and think it is over till  next December, my church has 3 other fayres during the year , a pain sometimes, I run a jewellery stall from donated bits and pieces,  don't really make much money at it as I think people's jewellery has changed over the years.

We have 1 person in charge of the fun raising committee, gets a lot of praise, she knows how to do things as she has done it for years, she normally runs the kitchen on the day but she dropped a bombshell as it were and she is giving up the kitchen side of things, she has asked 2 younger women to take it over but my guess is she won't leave it alone, I think she should come out of the kitchen, let these 2 younger ones do it but be there as a support, we make quite a bit on refreshments so we can't go without it..

It is milder today but still a miserable morning, I am off out with a friend for shopping today, going to a bigger area for one big store I need, wish they would stop closing popular stores,  my local shopping centre is quite dead now having closed 2 departmental shops
Keep warm and dry everyone.

LM

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 December 23 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Morning all
Just catching up with you all.
North East of England

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 December 23 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Phoebe, the sun, has shown her face, the snow has gone and the temperature has risen.  I am so pleased that the dark rain and snow clouds have moved on as I had nearly lost all sense of what part of each twenty-four hours I was in.   Now that the festive season is upon us the TV programmers don't use a twenty=four hour clock and have taken off the normal morning, afternoon and evening programmes which is part of the reason I was losing track of time.

I've just come off the phone after having my annual GP check up, conducted by our local village pharmacist.   I didn't recognise the voice and learnt that Peter has moved on with Irishman Sean filling his place.
Q How far can you walk?
A) I don't know as I haven't been anywhere since all the local shops, cinemas, theatres, etc., have closed down.

My automatic washing machine has given me grief for the last time - it's now out on its ear  and as new washers only have a three month guarantee (!!),   I'm planning to use the local laundrettes.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke