Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 10th December  (Read 3163 times)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 10th December
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 05 December 23 13:22 GMT (UK) »
I bought my washing machine when I lived in The Netherlands, maybe 15 years ago.
Still going strong; it's an AEG. All controls in Dutch!

Don't need a guarantee. :D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 December 23 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Well, “ Spring cleaned “ the lounge  .
So just ordinary clean now as Christmas approaches.
Everything moved out ,paintwork cleaned etc.

Very distressing news this evening on T.V .
Such barbarity, why do women become the targets in conflicts?

Had a nice simple butter bean casserole this evening with cheese scones warm and buttery.

When I moved all the books out and washed the shelves last week I found a poetry book I had been looking for not where it ought to be.
I wake up in the night  and do things to try to get back to sleep, like saying in my head poems we learnt at school.
I cannot remember one of the verses of Wordsworth’s “Daffodils  “, so wanted to look it up ,and Masefield’s “ Cargoes” ,get stuck after “ Quinquerime of Nineveh and far distant Ophir — “
I suppose it keeps me awake really ,but is frustrating so like to look it up next morning but could not find the poetry book.

Must shop tomorrow but weather is going to be very wet ,Ah well - I won’t melt .
No letter yet re echo scan ,supposed to be urgent too.
Neither have my pills and potions arrived,I have no more heart tablets left and don’t  fancy being without when there have been big changes not for the better!
Cohen’s have taken over Lloyd’s but that has vastly increase   patient numbers so prescriptions done by an outside agency, not satisfactory at all.
You can never get through on the phone to Cohens,.
 I need to organise my prescription for when I am away at Christmas too.

Hope all are safe abd as well as can be expected given that some are quite elderly and there are some health issues.

I am so thankful I am not in Ukraine, Gaza Palestine or Israel.
The news tonight was horrible truly barbaric.

Cheerio.look after yourselves.
Viktoria.

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 07:46 GMT (UK) »
Viktoria- St Anthony to the rescue once again. He is always on hand in times of need to look for things which are not where they are supposed to be. ::) Rj
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Yes RJ, St Anthony works for me or I ask my mum, whatever I am searching for turns up, usually, I even reminded a priest  about St Anthony when he lost his log book in a filing cabinet,  he didn't find it and it cost him dearly to replace it, a few weeks later it turned up in the cabinet, it had slipped flat to the bottom, I did say that but he  took no notice, oh he of little faith!!.

V, you are very busy, don't know how you do it all.

Yesterday was a very mild day so I was surprised to see frost this morning but it is a bright sunny day, makes a whole lot of difference. You must chase up your medication Viktoria.

I have a blood test today but I didn't have many slots to choose from , it means I have to get a bus an hour before as if my bus is late or doesn't turn up I could either have to  wait or be turned away, our buses are a disgrace really.

Must get on, have a good day folks.

LM

Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Morning all
Ooo the Christmas smilies are back  :)
It must be the season for annual check ups as mine was on Monday. Like LM I had an inconvenient time - 3.10pm and you daren't ask for a different one ! It’s not a good time as it’s right in school coming out time so we had to do a shuttle system where my husband went to collect the 7 and 5 year olds and I took the nearly three year old with me. This was partly as we still had lots of ice here and husband finds it stressful enough driving to their school , sliding to the school yard, then getting back with them with two let alone a sassy granddaughter! She loved being with me and watching my blood being taken. My GP annual check up is with a nurse who only does those sort of things ( she’s not allowed to give injections for instance ) and she was very nice, very young and very tolerant of granddaughter asking 6 million questions. My bp was up ever so slightly to 128/84 but I wasn’t surprised with granddaughter there! Mine is only due to under active thyroid checking but I’d guess it’ll come back as ‘ within normal range’, so I won’t hear anything till next year when I’m due again!
She did comment that several of her appts had cancelled which didn’t surprise me as the paths have been lethal and we have a lot of elderly in our area.
Viktoria , I need to tackle the general lounge clean too as I’m hoping to put the decorations up next Sunday, so I like a good clean through before then.
North East of England

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 10:44 GMT (UK) »
I am now going to speak about a late neighbour from my previous house.
Not a stickler for spick and span but a nice person who ,unlike the much older neighbours ,invited me round and was glad her three boys were no longer going to be the only youngsters with fuddy duddy old neighbours who viewed us—- FROM BELGIUM!—- with great suspicion!
She had a fur lampshade,well a purple velvet one but a layer of fluff so thick!
Fur skirting boards and was very upset when she came to my house to tell me someone had written on her front door “ Clean me” - I asked what had they used felt tip ? No in the dust on the door.
We were on  a main road and it was the hot summer of 1976,and very dusty and dry.I St.Viktoria washed mine and polished the brass every week .
You can’t tell anyone who has lived in Flanders anything about deep cleaning!
It is like a religion.
But she was a good soul and I sewed for her and permed her hair.
Made their Silver and Ruby Wedding cakes  etc .
She looked after my house and cat ,budgie and Guinea pig ,lights etc when we were away.And her husband got staff discount in furnishing fabrics from the dying factory where he was maintenance engineer.He would pass it to me saving a fortune.
So not just one way by any means,
I still miss her very much .
Her little grandson was a cot death at three months , I used to visit his little grave here in the cemetery when I took the dog for a short walk, but not been for a while. Must try before Christmas.

Well this is not getting on, so Cheerio folks.
Take care in the bad weather conditions.
Viktoria.

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Fun and games yesterday trying to set up my new laptop (early Christmas present).  My husband wanted to connect it wirelessly to the printer which he (on his Mac) and I (with Windows 11) share.  I went off to bed at 11.30 and he followed around half an hour later, having had no success with the connection.  I'm getting used to the change from good old Windows 10, but finding it quite a challenge.

Had my Christmas haircut this morning and will be writing cards from today.  I find it quite an anxious time, as at my age I often hear of the loss of partners or parents from my correspondents' family members at this time.

It's rather chilly but so far dry today.  Heavy rain is forecast for later with a yellow weather warning.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 12:53 GMT (UK) »
My FT  prog is on Windows 7, not compatible with Windows 10 on the laptop,  I don't like Windows 10.
Good luck Gillg.

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 14:52 GMT (UK) »

Had my Christmas haircut this morning and will be writing cards from today.  I find it quite an anxious time, as at my age I often hear of the loss of partners or parents from my correspondents' family members at this time.

It's rather chilly but so far dry today.  Heavy rain is forecast for later with a yellow weather warning.
Received my first Christmas card on Monday, it contained a letter with news of four deaths. I was rather apprehensive of opening the batch of cards that came this morning, thankfully no bad news  today.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.