Author Topic: Hugh Jones & Jane Prichard - Clynnog 98 & 100 years Old  (Read 301 times)

Offline climbingthewalls

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hugh Jones & Jane Prichard - Clynnog 98 & 100 years Old
« on: Monday 04 December 23 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello!

My 3x GGF is a Hugh Jones from Clynnog who married a Jane Prichard in 1813. I think he was baptised circa 1790/91/92 and she was born 1789 (both in Clynnog in census). An article I found suggests her father was a Richard Jones and mother Mary. The couple lived in Clynnog Village for their whole life (according to all census records) and had around 13 children. He was a master shoe maker and farmer of land. However I am struggling to accurately find out who their parents are - and any lines further back. Several options have been put forward - none of which I can accurately say is correct. They lived next to door to the welsh bard Eben Fardd for a long period (one of their daughters worked for him) and lived opposite the church of St.Beuno in a house called Ty Uchaf.
I have found an article dating back a while ago (from a publication called Y Casglwr), which focuses on a picture painted for them for their 75th wedding anniversary by an artist, Robert Hughes from Llanaelhaern. In the article they talk about their wedding, life and anniversary - and that the son of Lord Newborough attended ( I don't know if that is a link, there is an occupier of land in the area that I saw in the tithes, called Hugh Jones. Land owned by Lord Newborough). I believe patrynomic surnames stopped in Clynnog circa 1810 - but not sure??

They seem to be quite a big family in Clynnog (both figuratively and historically) - but I am really struggling to go back any further with much certainty. If anyone can help or have come across this family please let me know as it will be very much appreciated.

P.S one of the sons, Richard Jones lived to 98 as well!!!

Offline collwyn ap tangno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Jones & Jane Prichard - Clynnog 98 & 100 years Old
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 December 23 00:04 GMT (UK) »
Look at yffôr.com, it contains Clynnog records, well worth the fee.

Offline climbingthewalls

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 December 23 07:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thanks for that. Are the records on yffor not on ancestry do you know? as I am on ancestry.

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 December 23 08:30 GMT (UK) »
Hugh/Jane bapt;
JOHN 1813
RICHARD 1815
MARY 1817
HUGH 1819
ELLIN 1822
CATHERINE 1824
ELLIS 1827
ANNE 1829
WILLIAM 1831
DAVID 1833
JANE 1835
JOHN 1837

All St Beuno, Clynnog Fawr
(Source FreeREG)

Also bapt there 09 Apr 1792 (birth 07 Apr 1792)
HUGH JONES Jones to RICHARD/MARY
Father a Brewer

Have you ruled this one out?

As Hugh/Jane name children Richard/Mary it is a possible

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline climbingthewalls

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 December 23 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish, many thanks for getting back to me. I have seen this - all the children are correct. I ruled Hugh's parents out (whether that is right or wrong) based on the patronymic naming convention that "should" have been happening at the time. Therefore I have been looking for Hugh's whos fathers first name would have been John. The one I could come up with was a John Ellis - who had a Hugh baptized in 1791 Dec 18th. The thing that has pushed me further to give it some credibility is that John was a shoemaker, which Hugh went on to being.

However in the article I read, it said that his cousin Shôn Hughes attended his 75th wedding anniversary in 1888 - Shôn being born in 1811. I can't find any reference  to Shôn (could this be a variation on John?). Based on him having a cousin called Hughes, I guessed that his father may also be a Hughes. So if the patrynomic system worked, his father would be called John Hughes. Are you following me  :)

I also found out that a shoemaker (corvisor) was operating in Clynnog in 1755, called Hugh Jones - so in my best deductions there could be a chain of events where this Hugh Jones had a son called John Hughes who then had a son called Hugh Jones. I think I might be overthinking it all !!! it's had me stumped for months. Also I have uploaded my DNA to ancestry and that hasn't thrown back anything definitive.

The Prichard side seems as much confusing as the Jones side!!! Thanks again for taking the time to look at this for me!

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 December 23 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Your welcome.

I will admit it is not my area of expertise.

Hopefully someone else can help you soon.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 December 23 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thanks for that. Are the records on yffor not on ancestry do you know? as I am on ancestry.

I would highly recommend your taking out a month's subscription to yffor.com; there is a huge amount of records on the site all relevant to the Llyn Peninsula.    A lot of these records are not on Ancestry.
Nesta

Offline collwyn ap tangno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 December 23 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Re: patronymic question. It’s confusing! I’ve seen examples in the late 19th century. I’ve also seen a family change surname in a census run from williams to roberts and back to williams. It’s evident that the officials had an influence too. A head of the family would be a jones so everyone else would be recorded as being the same, although in reality they would use their father’s first name as a second name.

The records for clynnog are set out in tabular form on yffor.com so it’s easy to follow the family as long as they stayed in the parish.

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 December 23 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Agreed Collwyn - absolute nightmare; a section of my family were still using it up to the 1860's my great great grandmother married using her father's last name, Howell,  but everywhere else she used Jones.  Her father was John Howell !! Moral of this - don't think it just stops at a certain date be flexible and keep a look out just in case.

Nesta