Author Topic: Find My Past Newspaper search changing  (Read 984 times)

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
Re: Find My Past Newspaper search changing
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 05 December 23 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Strange, I first went to search and selected newspapers from the drop down menu.

Happened always I tried.

Maybe they flipped the switch back to testing and I just happened to try the small window they were live testing…

I just hope they don’t implement the change.
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 December 23 11:31 GMT (UK) »
I did not find the Newspaper searching on FindMyPast of any use at all.

I found masses of info on the BNA site and it was this info that I looked for on FindMyPast where it found zero articles.

So my suggestion is to not rely just on one set I did not find the Newspaper searching on FindMyPast of any use at all.

I found masses of info on the BNA site and it was this info that I looked for on FindMyPast where it found zero articles.

So my suggestion is to not rely just on one site

I find newspapers on FindMyPast. Extremely useful. Over 350 entries for my husband Irish ancestors.

I found one for my grandfather who was a farmer, buying 2 prize pigs in Reading market.  I have lots of photos of these prize pigs and it was nice to add how much they cost  :o
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 05 December 23 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Just tried it again, and it’s back to normal from the search button at the top but….

If you click on the three lines at the top of the main search page and select search, the drop down has changed and newspapers has been disabled, the drop down has also changed colour.

I used to work at HP, writing technical help pages for their various printers, pcs, plotters etc., and did lots of site testing for them, especially when new models came out so I am very aware of what goes on behind the scenes on large corporate websites. I search FindMyPast and Ancestry several times a week and have done so since they began.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 05 December 23 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Ah  - did you go in thru 'All Brittish Records'?  I get this if I do that.  I have never used that filter.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline fhtess1165

• RootsChat Extra
  • http://writingmypast.wordpress.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 05 December 23 16:36 GMT (UK) »
While I've had success using FindMyPast's search, I agree that using the BNA search is also helpful as it does catch articles that FindMyPast misses.

I did not find the Newspaper searching on FindMyPast of any use at all.

So my suggestion is to not rely just on one site.
Spong, Taylor, Ferdinando, Lawley, Cox, Sinkins, Morris, Sidney, Keel, Montgomery, Barlow, Izzard, Pearce, Warboys, River, Sherrell, White, Beake

Offline Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Just tried it again, and it’s back to normal from the search button at the top

I had exactly the same experience as you a few days ago. No matter which way I tried to access the newspaper search, all I got was newspaper bmd announcements with no way to do other searches and utterly useless for my purposes.  Next time I tried it had reverted to normal. I concluded that FindMyPast are tinkering again and we can expect changes.

GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON - Stornoway
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 09:50 GMT (UK) »
I’ll be interested to see what they change. I’ve often had to do an individual issue search for death notices where I know the date and place of death from a gravestone , but nothing comes up on the newspaper search. However when I do a search for that weeks or the nexts in the paper I’d guess it’d be in, sure enough it’s there. Clearly some of the bmd escape the ocr that they use.
North East of England

Online PrawnCocktail

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Gadget, I tried that search route this morning for the first time, searched for "Towcester" (Place), with no names. I got just 3 (useless) results.

My bookmark is set to take me to the All Record Sets page, and clicking Search in the top bar off there takes me to the full Newspaper search page, which gives me 220,000 results for the same search, which I can then filter.

They used to have a filter for the BDM notices (many moons ago), when the filters were down the side of the results, but alas no more.

Website: http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~towcesterfamilies/genealogy/
Towcester - anything, any time
Cheshire - Lambert, Houghland, Birtwisle
Liverpool - Platt, Cunningham, Ditton
London - Notley, Elsom, Billett
Oxfordshire - Hitchcock, Smith, Leonard, Taunt
Durham - Hepburn, Eltringham
Berwickshire - Guthrie, Crawford
Somerset - Taylor (Bath)
Gloucestershire - Verrinder, Colborn
Dorset - Westlake

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 10:18 GMT (UK) »
Which link are you mentioning. PC.  I gave two different methods. I tend to use the first one*.

I've not had any problems with newspaper searches and have never had BMD info given first or solely.

* Reply #5  and then  https://www.findmypast.co.uk/search-newspapers
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***