Author Topic: IGNORE - 1939 Register: Post-1939 surname change w/o marriage record  (Read 157 times)

Offline nexus41

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
IGNORE - 1939 Register: Post-1939 surname change w/o marriage record
« on: Tuesday 05 December 23 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I am trying to determine if WINNIE CALLAGHAN (born 1922 in Darwen, Lancashire, named as Winifred in the 1939 Register) was married to a (Polish?) man name KOSTYNSKI. The original 1939 surname entry was CALLAGHAN. A second entry KOSTYNSKI was added later in green. There is a final entry CALLAGHAN, also in green, and KOSTYNSKI was crossed out. Two dates are given: 24.11.60 and 12.12.61, prefaced by a single “CR283”. (CR283 is a form that was used when there was a Change of Surname, Forename, or Date of Birth.) The entries suggest a name change due to marriage (Callaghan --> Kostynski --> Callaghan) and that the marriage held for just over a year. See the attachment.

However, I have not been able to find any marriage record that confirms that a marriage took place. I am wondering if the marriage was annulled (a divorce in that short space of time seems unlikely).  In that case, is the original marriage record then deleted, i.e. as a result of the marriage being deemed never to have taken place?

Winnie was Roman Catholic. She later moved to Bolton, where she died in 1994. She was living in 6 Back Foundry Street, Bolton, at the time of the 1939 Register.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Martins of Portadown | Morgans of Bolton | Callaghans of Bolton | Mitchells of Liverpool | Clarks of Glencaple | Loudens of Glencaple