Author Topic: Colchester - Can anyone decipher this ??  (Read 2923 times)

Offline j147

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Colchester - Can anyone decipher this ??
« on: Saturday 10 September 05 14:05 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to decipher an old street name from the 1901 Census in Colchester, but I can't come up with anything that matches any street name that I've ever heard of.  Highbridge, Wightbridge ??   I'm stuck!

The street appears on the Census form after Vineyard Street in the parish of St. Botolphs - if that's any help!    I guess it's under a carpark or shopping centre now.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Tony

Offline miss marple

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Colchester - Can anyone decipher this ??
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 September 05 15:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony

I think it looks like Weighbridge Square if that's any help to you.

Others might have different ideas!

Jane

Offline j147

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 September 05 16:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking Jane - Weighbridge is certainly a possibility.

I made a small error in the original post - it's actually the 1861 Census, not the 1901.

Tony

Offline anne elizabeth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 September 05 16:24 BST (UK) »
Looks like Weighbridge to me too! Before I saw Jane's reply.
Regards Ann
Brophy, Bergin, Hogan, O'Brien, Lalor, Hughes, Clear, Peters, Bastick  all of Queens County Ireland

Offline john macey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 October 05 17:46 BST (UK) »
Like the others I cant see what the place name is although I thought I knew Colchester. Is there anything else that may give a clue? like business names or other roads nearby?
I have taken a look at a couple of books which shows pictures of old Colchester but cant break it at moment

Still trying to track down family of folk  shown in a photo album I purchased at a  second hand shop in Kings Lynn several years ago.

Names mentioned were Mr Howell G. Hopwood; Mrs. J.V. Vershoyle-Campbell; Mrs. J. Holmes; Mrs Brydone  etc. plus numerous 'first names'

The family obviously travelled well as locations shown include Nigeria, Tassagart in Dublin, Rye; Sudborough; Canada; Blewbury; Winchelsea etc and this was in period 1925 ro 1930's.

The Black Notley connection is thought to be via a vicar JOHN who Married Audrie  of the family mentioned (Hopwood) circa 1949.

If anyone has any ideas where or who the family are  I would be pleased to contact them with the view to restoring the photo album to a genuine member of the family, probably for the amount I originally paid for the album when I thought it was part of my family!

http://maceys.netfirms.com

Offline john macey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 October 05 17:48 BST (UK) »
Apologies to readers of my previous reply ref tracing a place in Colchester. Seems I also pasted in a message left on another subject too. Please ignore!

Offline j147

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 October 05 20:15 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

Just realised that I made a mistake.   The census was actually for 1861, not 1901 (apologies to all).

The only other street mentioned on the page is Vineyard Street, which comes first.   I would assume that the mystery square was very close to Vineyard Street (or even perhaps situated off it).   There are no businesses mentioned and no other clues that I can discern.

Thanks for taking the trouble to look.

Tony

Offline Arquebus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 October 05 23:53 BST (UK) »
I am certain it is 'Weighbridge Square'.....

Vineyard Street was once an area of demolished buildings used as a market  (50's), which then became a car park (60's and on)....however I am sure that at some stage there was a coal yard either in that same area or just opposite in Osborne Street (next to where the Corporation Buses used to run out of....which is now a multi-store  car park)....

There were many businesses / factories in the area on the South side of Osborne Street including Hyams (perhaps Whites and Kellys will show up something here)

The most prominent coal merchants in Colchester were Thomas Moy & Co and Death (De'Ath).

Al.
ENFIELD...Colchester, DEARY & DIX...Norfolk & Oz, SLOLEY / SYMONS...Fremington Devon, BAKER...Deopham Norfolk, BANTACK...Ixworth, ALLISON...Suffolk / ALLISTON / ELLISTON/E...North East Essex, HOW /HOWE...North East Essex, SWALES..York / Middlesboro,METCALFE...York,  WOODS / MOLLETT / GREEN....Norwich, BRATTY...N.Ireland (Derry and Belfast), MORGAN...Bicknor / Coleford Glos. & Middlesboro. FENN / WENDEN / ROOKARD....North East Essex. SNOW...Hampstead & Devon. BULL...Colchester.

Offline jp

• Sorry my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 18 November 05 15:33 GMT (UK) »
There is or was a Weighbridge Road at Colchester, it is now the B1025 Mersea Road, I hope this is the right one I found it on total travel dot co dot uk, I asked for direction from Vineyard Street to Weightbridge Suare and thats what it came up with.  Hope its the right one. ::) ::)
.Baker..Bigg..Cauday..Clarke..Cracknell..Eade..Freeman..Glazebrook..Hart..Hazelton..Hicks..Mann..Maskell..Norman..Rainbow..Rush..Snowling..Salmon..Swan..Sharman..Tweed..Weatherley............// Areas..Essex (Colchester..Great Clacton)....Suffolk (Glemsford..Wickham Skeith..Nacton)....North London....Hertfordshire