Author Topic: *VERDUN AS A MIDDLE NAME AT FREEBMD SEARCHES.  (Read 887 times)

Offline elliot

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: *VERDUN AS A MIDDLE NAME AT FREEBMD SEARCHES.
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 28 March 24 22:30 GMT (UK) »
TREETOTAL,
thankyou so much for telling us about your memories of the death and funeral of your cousin Angela Verdun HALLETT.

What is of real interest is the appearance of this VERDUN name in your family in 1950. I wonder who and why this name was revived  by her parents, so many years after the original battle event.  Perhaps there is another person in your family who is being recalled and memorialized? Did her father survive that awful battle with his memories?

Births Dec 1950   (>99%)
Hallett Angela V    Capes     Hull    2a   379    
Deaths Jun 1953   (>99%)
HALLETT    Angela V    2    Hull    2a   165

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 29 March 24 13:54 GMT (UK) »
No, he wasn't born until, 1926 I don't know enough about the Hallett line as he married my Aunt, so not a direct line. Thanks for your interest.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 06 April 24 12:29 BST (UK) »
Sorry if this is not relevant but after the battle of Verdun ,many children were given Verdun as a middle name .
Not heard of any named as eg— John The Somme Smith nor  John Passendale Smith ——-.
Equally important  battles.
Verdun was during The 1914-18 war.
Viktoria.
I have heard of Passendale as a forename. Unfortunately it was spelt in the record as "Passiondale"!
Quite a common occurence to name chidren after battles or commanders. I believe it started during the Wars with France in the first decades of the 19th century with commanders, I know of several Nelsons  and a few Wellingtons, usually born on the anniversary of their battle or its centenary. No doubt the French have their share of Buonapartes and Napoleones! (All pre 1815!)
Names of battles seem to have started during the Crimean War with Russia in the mid 1850s, I know of people name Sebastapol and Alma. The practice continued during the African Colonial Wars of the late 19th Early 20th Century with both the names of commanders Gordon and Kitchener, and the relief of Mafeking being commonly used. I have never heard of anyone named Khartoum though.
The practice was at its height during WW1 in which there are several, including the use of at least one instance of the battle of Messines in 1916.  Is this worth a topic on its own to see what it brings?

Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 06 April 24 13:36 BST (UK) »
The spelling at the time of the battle was in the old Flemish which has been modernised .
It used to be Passchaendaele ,then Passendaele .
We say Passendale ,or Pashendale it formerly was quite a mouthful,
pass ch( hard guttural c) en daal ( long a sound )e.

Viktoria.

Offline elliot

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 10 April 24 16:45 BST (UK) »

[/quote]
I have heard of Passendale as a forename. Unfortunately it was spelt in the record as "Passiondale"!
Quite a common occurence to name chidren after battles or commanders. I believe it started during the Wars with France in the first decades of the 19th century with commanders, I know of several Nelsons  and a few Wellingtons, usually born on the anniversary of their battle or its centenary. No doubt the French have their share of Buonapartes and Napoleones! (All pre 1815!)
Names of battles seem to have started during the Crimean War with Russia in the mid 1850s, I know of people name Sebastapol and Alma. The practice continued during the African Colonial Wars of the late 19th Early 20th Century with both the names of commanders Gordon and Kitchener, and the relief of Mafeking being commonly used. I have never heard of anyone named Khartoum though.
The practice was at its height during WW1 in which there are several, including the use of at least one instance of the battle of Messines in 1916.  Is this worth a topic on its own to see what it brings?
[/quote]

REDROGER
Many thanks for your historic overview,
IF the commemoration of these battles was at its height during WW1, was this the end of the era of static and named battlefields.  Are there any similar battles of WW2?  Do we now have faster moving and mobile encounters with Tanks? Military history is not my strong point.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 14 April 24 19:51 BST (UK) »
Alma was very popular both male and female. When used as a boy's name usually spelt Elmer. Alma was still in use as a girls name in the 1930s, the daughter of my aunt's neighbour was called Alma, if still living she will be around 90 years old.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 15 April 24 07:27 BST (UK) »
Alma is also a biblical name .
& A name of it's own right in some languages

In Spanish it means Soul

I don't know the Arabic meaning it is used to describe dancers .

So Girls with that name probably not named after the battle .
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 15 April 24 09:38 BST (UK) »
Alma is also a biblical name .
& A name of it's own right in some languages

In Spanish it means Soul

I don't know the Arabic meaning it is used to describe dancers .

So Girls with that name probably not named after the battle .
With the connections between Andalusia I would guess at the same or similar meaning.i do seem to recall there was a Spanish connection in the case I mentioned,so perhaps.

Offline elliot

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 15 April 24 19:04 BST (UK) »
Alma was very popular both male and female. When used as a boy's name usually spelt Elmer. Alma was still in use as a girls name in the 1930s, the daughter of my aunt's neighbour was called Alma, if still living she will be around 90 years old.
REDROGER
I just tripped over this daughter and her mother already on my tree.

Mary Elma Alma Hovell Thurlow Cumming Bruce
1871–1894
BIRTH 21 AUG 1871 • Edinburgh,Midlothian,Scotland
DEATH 11 FEB 1894 • CHELSEA, , London,
and her mother,
Elma Cummings CUMMING BRUCE
1842–1923
BIRTH 19 JUN 1842 • Jamacia West Indies
DEATH 27 NOV 1923 • LIVERPOOL Lancashire, England

http://thepeerage.com/p12366.htm#i123658

Whose birth pre-dates the Battle of Alma 20 September 1854.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Cumming-Bruce_family