Author Topic: Jean Tipping Glenfinnan Inverness  (Read 218 times)

Offline LynneOz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jean Tipping Glenfinnan Inverness
« on: Tuesday 05 December 23 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello the list

I am chasing information on Jean or Mary Jane Tipping who was born about 1902. My only clue is that she recorded herself in 1924 as a general servant of Glen House, Glenfinnan in Inverness. I have not been able to find a suitable record in Scotland's People, Ancestry, Findmypast or FamilySearch. However I did find a WWI medal card for a Thomas Tipping whose address was also at Glen House.

I notice there are quite a few Tipping records in Glasgow but all the information I can find about Glen House points me to the hotel (which may be correct) or to Bonnie Prince Charlie or the viaduct which is not a help.

Jean Tipping had an illegitimate child in the workhouse in West Derby, Lancashire, England in 1924. The story is that this child was put into the orphanage in Inverness. Somehow it appears this lady is related to me but I have no idea how.

I would appreciate any help.

Cheers
Garlick Richards Taylor Earl Orchard Lally Schmarbeck Bateman Swindells Williams

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Jean Tipping Glenfinnan Inverness
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 December 23 23:40 GMT (UK) »
The earliest reference to Glen House on the Valuation Rolls on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk looks to be from at least 1930:

Proprietor
HOUSE GLEN HOUSE GLENFINNAN
ARISAIG AND MOIDART
VR010300049-

Wondering if this is the same Glen House in Arisaig - https://canmore.org.uk/site/277551/arisaig-glen-house

Also mentioned here www.wildlochaber.com/mallaig-glenfinnan/walking/larachmhor-garden-walk

With a reference to Clansburgh Cottage as an alternative name, I came across this www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/building_full.php?id=421645

Some notes here - https://larachmhor.co.uk/assets/the-ballad-of-larachmhor---john-hammond-2012-web-edit.pdf - pg 6:

Work commenced the following year and a large portion of Clanranald’s House was
demolished and the stone used to build the new structure; the remaining portion of the house being renamed Glen House.
Completed in 1864, Arisaig House stands at the centre of the extensive grounds, with broad terraces of some 10,000 sq.ft. overlooking the gardens that are completely sheltered from the north and the House enjoys far-reaching view to the south and east. The two-tiered walled kitchen garden was constructed in the same period and thus the main house on the estate would have been no longer reliant on the kitchen garden at Larachmhor and it is likely that Arisaig Mains Farm took over the kitchen garden from this date.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 December 23 23:50 GMT (UK) »
... However I did find a WWI medal card for a Thomas Tipping whose address was also at Glen House...

Were there any other details to work with for this Thomas? Regiment, service etc.?

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 December 23 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Do you have any details on what happened to Jean after the birth of her child in 1924 in West Darby?

Are the details of her working as a domestic servant at Glen House, Glenfinnan from the baby's birth reg?

Monica

Offline LynneOz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 January 24 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello Monica
Thank you for the information you have posted. The information about Jean Tipping and Glen House I got from Olive Mary Tipping's birth certificate along with the address of the Workhouse in Liverpool.

The information about Thomas Tipping was on Scotlands People and unfortunately my subscription has expired. I just noted the same address and nothing else when I found it before Christmas.

I believe Jean's name was Mary Jane Tipping and she MAY have been born in Glasgow or in Ireland. Either that, or she was born in Glasgow of parents who came from Ireland.

Jean further had another two children (Margaret Rose Bennett and Thomas Bennett) in Romiley in Cheshire. Margaret's birth certificate certainly seems to indicate her parents were both together at the time of her birth but I can find no marriage record for a Thomas Bennett and anyone with the name Tipping. Thomas Bennett was born in 1932 in Romiley; Margaret in 1937.

Olive Mary Tipping was apparently reared in an orphanage in Inverness. She eventually made her way down to London where she worked as a cinema usherette. She married Rene Morris, a Canadian serviceman and went with him to Montreal. She then had multiple partners, and lived in several places in USA. She died in Florida in 2011.

Olive's grand-daughter and I share considerable DNA and neither of us know how. We are trying to solve the puzzle.

Cheers
Garlick Richards Taylor Earl Orchard Lally Schmarbeck Bateman Swindells Williams

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 January 24 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Have far back have you and Olive's granddaughter traced your family lines in Scotland? She suggests a birth year of c. 1902 for Olive's mother. Is there anything in any document that makes her think this?

There is a possible Tippin/g family whose initial origins point to England and then Scotland (Invernesshire and Glasgow areas). This family includes:

Parents: Thomas Edward Tippin and Mary Garrity
Children: Sarah, Ellen, Mary Elizabeth, Thomas and Jean (there may be more?).

Is there any MacDonald connection for you in your ancestry from Invernesshire? I ask because from this family, Sarah, the eldest, married a James MacDonald and lived at Glen House No.1, as showing on the 1921 census. There is a 'visitor', Ellen Tipping living with them at the time whose age would fit for Sarah's sister.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 January 24 19:36 GMT (UK) »
When thinking of resources at your disposal when researching in Scotland, the official pay to view site www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk is the only source of original images of Scottish BMDs and census pages. The rest do offer great support and are good finding aids.

Just to remind, SP is to pay to view only, with no subscriptions available. Costs are reasonable.

Good reference notes and advice here www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 January 24 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Have you been able to find Jean Tipping and Thomas Bennett on the 1939 Register in England?

Monica