Author Topic: New research into Scottish family . Luife/ Love . Govan .  (Read 490 times)

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
New research into Scottish family . Luife/ Love . Govan .
« on: Wednesday 06 December 23 02:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi , I have moved away from my parents family and onto my in laws . I am a total novice in Scottish history . I do have a tree which takes my Love family in Govan / Greenock to 1555 and Sir Robert John Luife. It is mentioned he is a “ Prince of Scotland “ .
His father …. I think was Rev.Father William of Glasgow and mother Lady Margeret Pudzean/Podstene 1531-1613
. I may have that wrong
. There is mention of Johniss Luife and Margeret Douglas . I see the name became Love and both my daughter and grandaughter have it as their second names .
I don't understand the description of Sir Robert and in more recent times the family were very poor living in the Greenock area of Glasgow with never a mention of higher births all those years before . I have to admit I have just copied other peoples trees so that is why I need to get a better understanding of Scottish names and heiracy . If Sir Robert John Luife was a Duke who bestowed this on him and did he keep it . I have googled infomation but I am really quite blank . Thanks for any help or pointing me in right direction . Fred .m
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: New research into Scottish family . Luife/ Love . Govan .
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 04:38 GMT (UK) »
Usual thing Fred, you need to start with what you definitely DO know,
So perhaps you could post the details of the more recent Greenock/Glasgow people.
(Including how you got to them)

I presume you have looked on Scotland’s People to get certs and other info
If not, you will have to do that because while we can look at indexes and sugges things, it is all pay per view (although very reasonable).

(If any of the trees you are looking at have documents attached, then that’s good)

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 04:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi thank you . I have done nothing as yet   Started yesterday . but I will put up some names of grandmother and great grandparents . I will get pen and paper . Also as you say I will get to look at any certs that are on peoples trees that are relevant . I know grandmother Mary Love Couzens  lived at Thomas Street in Greenock … now gone . She arrived in NZ around 1920 something as a dairy maid . I will get onto it as you say .. thanks Fred . …
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 04:59 GMT (UK) »
So for starters, her marriage certificate in NZ should name her parents. Do you have that?

1929/5435   Mary Love   Cousins   Stewart   Horn

Her death reg has a birth date of    16 August 1901

Perhaps this is her birth reg (McDonald being her mothers maiden name)

COUSINS
MARY LOVE
MCDONALD
F
646 / 2 / 1445
GOVAN

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 05:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi yes that is her . Can you tell me difference between Gourack , Greenock and Govan . We were in Scotland for 24 hours in May . Stayed at the university hall in Greenock . Great bargain on the river . We were touring for two weeks . Husband got covid  first day We had to go back to base in Macclesfield . I recently discovered husband had MacDonalds in the family . Thanks for any help . Fred .

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 05:47 GMT (UK) »
Can you tell me difference between Gourack , Greenock and Govan .
Your best resource there is Google maps. Very quick and easy to find those three places and see the distance between them.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 05:51 GMT (UK) »
Do you still live in Taupō?
Have you taken advantage of the weekly service provided by members of the Taupō genealogy group at the public library?  There are some knowledgeable people there.

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 05:54 GMT (UK) »
There are two MacDonald - Cousins marriages in the area at about the right time.There is no way of knowing which is the one you need without that NZ marriage cert.

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 05:56 GMT (UK) »
Mary Love Cousins departed from Liverpool on “Dorset” 22 November 1924
Last address, The Dairy, Dundas, S.  Queensferry.