Author Topic: New research into Scottish family . Luife/ Love . Govan .  (Read 491 times)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: New research into Scottish family . Luife/ Love . Govan .
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 06:07 GMT (UK) »
In the 1911 census the family is in Gourock, Renfrewshire

Ross Cousins - age 36
Ann J Cousins - 38
Ann J Cousins - 12
Eliza J Cousins - 11
Mary Cousins - 9
Rosetta Cousins - 8
Ross Cousins - 6
Susan Cousins - 3
Flora Cousins – 1

In the 1921 census the family is in Greenock East

These census records are only available from Scotlands People
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 06:08 GMT (UK) »
Parents for Mary Love Cousins –

Marriage for Ross COUSINS to Ann Jane Lindsay MCDONALD
1898 Partick    Ref 646 / 3 / 22
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 06:11 GMT (UK) »
The 1901 census shows Ross COUSINS born abt 1875 in England – a steel ship plater.

His wife Ann Jane Lindsay McDONALD born 5 May 1872 Tranent, East Lothian
Parents – George McDONALD and Ann Jane MCKAY

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 06:29 GMT (UK) »
Ross COUSINS born abt 1875 in England is in the 1891 census Scotland - working as a shipyard labourer living in Partick, Govan with his mother and siblings.

Birth registration in England
COUSINS, ROSS    Mother’s maiden name - CRAIG     
GRO Reference: 1875  J Quarter in WEST DERBY AND TOXTETH PARK  Volume 08B  Page 309

I can see a possible death cert for this Ross Cousins in Greenock in 1963 (age 88)

His mother is Eliza Jane COUSINS (nee CRAIG) born in Ireland about 1845
His father Ross COUSINS a seaman cook born abt 1848 Ireland
Marriage 12 July 1870 Belfast – the marriage record gives father’s names for both bride and groom
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1870/11389/8181988.pdf
(Link will open once you have proved you are not a robot)

Eliza Jane (Craig) COUSINS died in Gourock in 1914. Her death certificate will give parents names. Mother’s maiden name shows in the index as McCONNELL

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 10:56 GMT (UK) »
I am a total novice in Scottish history . I do have a tree which takes my Love family in Govan / Greenock to 1555 and Sir Robert John Luife. It is mentioned he is a “ Prince of Scotland “ .
His father …. I think was Rev.Father William of Glasgow and mother Lady Margeret Pudzean/Podstene 1531-1613
Where did the tree come from? Who compiled it?

Does it have credible sources attached to it that you can track down and check out?

If not, do not trust it. Use it as a basis for further research, by all means, but bear in mind that the further back you get, the more gaps there are in the surviving records. You must not assume that the only recorded candidate is the right person. They may be, but it could be that the right person's records have not survived.

According to The Surnames of Scotland, the surname Love is derived from Old French and means a wolf, and was common in Renfrewshire.

Can you tell me difference between Gourack , Greenock and Govan
This question was partly answered seven months ago. See https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=872752.msg7441794#msg7441794

Gourock (not Gourack) and Greenock are neighbouring towns in Renfrewshire, close together on the south side of the Clyde Estuary. They are not interchangeable with Govan, which is part of Glasgow.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 17:32 GMT (UK) »

Gourock (not Gourack) and Greenock are neighbouring towns in Renfrewshire, close together on the south side of the Clyde Estuary. They are not interchangeable with Govan, which is part of Glasgow.

Forfarian has given you excellent advice (as always) and I would just add that Govan, although it is now a working-class area of the city of Glasgow was until it was merged into the city in 1912, a separate town and burgh. There was also a huge civil parish of the same name, this included the burgh of Govan, the burgh of Partick on the north side of the river Clyde, plus the districts of Hillhead, Whiteinch and Scotstoun, also north of the river.
So if, for example, you look at a birth, marriage or death certificate from the post-1855 statutory registration records, you may find "Govan" as the district but the address may be somewhere north of the river, not in the burgh of Govan.
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 07 December 23 04:27 GMT (UK) »
LOVE. Is a common name in the region

I have LOVE s in my line and it carried thru as a middle name til my great grandmother Mary
Love HART

Margaret Maggie LOVE had 3 children only 1 by her legitimate husband

DNA linked is to a descendant of the second child from another man .I'm descended from the 3rd. Child whose father was a blain or a Kennedy
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 07 December 23 04:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi if you did dna on ancestery did you match to any Twentymans or Horn. ? Thanks Fred
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..