Author Topic: 23AndMe Data Breach Spirals - Millions Affected  (Read 679 times)

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 23AndMe Data Breach Spirals - Millions Affected
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Also here:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=878573.0

Apart from linking to a new more detailed news  article, I thought  this story deserves a headline which explicitly mades  the scale of the problem clear - that millions are affected. The previous threads fail to do that
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 16:31 GMT (UK) »
The Times today has an article which says 6.9m users had their data stolen in an attack on their DNA testing service which happened in October, far exceeding the 14,000 people it previously said had been affected. This does not affect me but I thought members may be interested.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 16:38 GMT (UK) »
The Times today has an article which says 6.9m users had their data stolen in an attack on their DNA testing service which happened in October, far exceeding the 14,000 people it previously said had been affected. This does not affect me but I thought members may be interested.

I know that was posted.  But to be blunt, the headlines on the other threads simply fail to convey the scale of the issue. Many will probably miss the story with those headline - sounds trivial. What is needed is an explicit statement that millions are affected - - in the headline

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Apart from the thread that I linked to, there was at least one earlier thread when the breach was announced.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/ancestral-family-tree-dna-testing/

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Apart from the thread that I linked to, there was at least one earlier thread when the breach was announced.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/ancestral-family-tree-dna-testing/

Back when the numbers were said to be 5,000?
Now the numbers are over 5,000,000!

Don't you think the scale of the problem is somewhat larger? A 1000 times larger?
Sufficient to garner more attention?

Offline Enumerated

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Well you brought it to my attention, Wexflyer. I hadn't heard about it before.

I'm just glad I have never been tempted to have a DNA test.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 18:13 GMT (UK) »
The number was much higher that 5,000

Also

This is actually several weeks old and was reported and discussed here at the time. It is the reason why other sites such as Ancestry are now implementing 2FA. The press are behind the curve or have just picked up on later admissions from 23&Me about the number of users affected.