Author Topic: Copying ALL Data From Other Ancestry Family Tree Account?  (Read 723 times)

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Copying ALL Data From Other Ancestry Family Tree Account?
« on: Wednesday 06 December 23 05:48 GMT (UK) »
On Ancestry I maintain and own a family tree for one branch of my family.
For another branch, I collaborate with a cousin, and contribute as an editor to a family tree she owns and controls. While this has been convenient, I think the time has come for me to make a copy of the joint portion of this family tree, and transfer to one I own.

Now I know one can transfer individual records from other Ancestry trees. But I would like to transfer ALL the data - media, comments, links, etc. - for half of an entire family tree. Is that possible? How does one go about that? Does it have to be done piecemeal, or can the entire transfer be accomplished in one go?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Copying ALL Data From Other Ancestry Family Tree Account?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 06:46 GMT (UK) »
You can download the gedcom in one hit, and upload it to wherever but all the media etc has to  be done individually (as far as I know,,,unless it has changed since the last time I tried)

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 10:15 GMT (UK) »
I would use either Roots Magic or Family Tree Maker.

Both will download the tree plus all the actual media to a PC or Mac.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 16:27 GMT (UK) »
From the replies so far, it seems there are methods using external programs, and/or using GEDCOM transfers. However, I was hoping there might be some way to accomplish this within Ancestry itself??
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 December 23 04:03 GMT (UK) »
You can download the gedcom in one hit, and upload it to wherever but all the media etc has to  be done individually (as far as I know,,,unless it has changed since the last time I tried)

Ancestry says that a GEDCOM download can only be done by the owner of the tree. And as far as I can see, that is true. I can't see an option to perform such a download on a tree on which I have editor privileges, but don't own.

Yet with the tree that I own, I know that several other users have copied hundreds of entries over to their trees. How did they do that without using a GEDCOM download? I find it difficult to believe they did it one person at a time. This is what makes me believe there must be some other method.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 December 23 04:05 GMT (UK) »
I would use either Roots Magic or Family Tree Maker.

Both will download the tree plus all the actual media to a PC or Mac.

Without being an owner? How? See my immediately previous response.

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 December 23 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Inside Ancestry you cannot combine trees or do anything practical other than export a Gedcom.

You cannot split an Ancestry tree, if you try all it does is give you a “floating branch”.

Even using software there are limitations in what the software can achieve.

As an example in Roots Magic once an Ancestry Tree has been downloaded a branch and all the sub branches etc can be dragged and dropped into a new project, as long as there is no pedigree collapse within the tree.

As long as one has the Ancestry access and log in details you can do this to any tree but given the new mandatory two stage verification the owner of said access would need to be involved.

The limitation of not just Ancestry but all the other online sites is why it is often considered best to use software for storing and managing ones tree(s) but have them linked to an online site.  EG in Family Tree Maker I can open the software and from within it search Ancestry and add people, citations etc to my software tree then select “sync” and it uploads and sync’s all the changes to the Ancestry tree.

If you do not want to use software then exporting the Gedcom from your Cousin’s account and importing that into a new Tree in your Ancestry account is the only option you have.  So in the Gedcom import you will have all the people in the source tree and references, just not the media etc

Hope this helps.

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 December 23 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Wexflyer, I'm finding the same.  Entire branches of my Ancestry tree copied wholesale, including the ahnantafel numbers I put in my direct ancestors' suffix fields (which is how I've come to recognise the source).

I think I might have found out how it's happening.

When checking trees presented as hints, there's the option at the top of the page to select all trees, rather than work through them individually.  If I check that box then the "review selected tree hints" button beneath the person in my tree is no longer greyed out.  If I click on it there seems to be the option to add everything found in all the trees presented as hints.

Just a little bit dangerous (unless your aim is to be the person with the biggest Ancestry tree).

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 January 24 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Wexflyer, I'm finding the same.  Entire branches of my Ancestry tree copied wholesale, including the ahnantafel numbers I put in my direct ancestors' suffix fields (which is how I've come to recognise the source).

I think I might have found out how it's happening.

When checking trees presented as hints, there's the option at the top of the page to select all trees, rather than work through them individually.  If I check that box then the "review selected tree hints" button beneath the person in my tree is no longer greyed out.  If I click on it there seems to be the option to add everything found in all the trees presented as hints.

Just a little bit dangerous (unless your aim is to be the person with the biggest Ancestry tree).

Jane :-)

Missed this over Christmas - looks like you have solved my little mystery!
Thanks!