Author Topic: Can One Name The Author(s) of Books/Publications/Newsarticles?  (Read 529 times)

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Can One Name The Author(s) of Books/Publications/Newsarticles?
« on: Wednesday 06 December 23 06:23 GMT (UK) »
Over the years I have noticed that there seems to be a very strict interpretation of the rule against naming living persons. So what about referencing books or articles? Usually such a reference should include the author and year of publication. Is this banned on Rootschat?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online MollyC

• RootsChat Member
  • Preserving the past for the future
    • View Profile
Re: Can One Name The Author(s) of Books/Publications/Newsarticles?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 10:20 GMT (UK) »
A few years ago I needed to reference one page in an unpublished PhD thesis, of which a copy had been donated 20 years earlier to a Local Studies Library.  I had known the author slightly and was almost certain the PhD was awarded by the nearest university, but it had not been noted on the title page.  I wrote to the university history dept. asking for confirmation.  They replied they could not disclose that, but referred me to the author's website which held the answer!  I think they were being over-cautious.  As we know from family history rules, academic study depends upon correct referencing of all sources.

If an item is published the author has put their own name in the public domain, so I cannot understand any restriction on copying it.  Otherwise libraries would have been sued for putting their catalogues online and told to hide the remaining drawers of catalogue cards.

Offline JAKnighton

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 12:12 GMT (UK) »
Over the years I have noticed that there seems to be a very strict interpretation of the rule against naming living persons. So what about referencing books or articles? Usually such a reference should include the author and year of publication. Is this banned on Rootschat?
The actual rule is written like this:

4. Specific Forum Rules
4.1 As a user you agree not to do any of the following:

17. Breach or request the breach of privacy of persons who are or may be living.
So if someone has published a work and attached their name to it, referencing their name in relation to the publication is not a breach of privacy.

Having said that, Rootschat doesn't like it when you reference living people in terms of genealogical searches i.e. sharing their name as reproduced in an index, citing electoral registers, names in obituaries for deceased people etc. even though those are all publicly available information and not subject to privacy laws.

I suppose the distinction is that if you have to do some digging to find out information about a living person then it's not acceptable to share, but if the living person has deliberately made themselves known then it's fine.
Knighton in Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire
Tweedie in Lanarkshire and Co. Down
Rodgers in Durham and Co. Monaghan
McMillan in Lanarkshire and Argyllshire

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 13:05 GMT (UK) »

As this question is specific to the rules on this site and its unlikely that the owners/moderators are able to read every single post, if you click on the 'report to moderator' link on your original post you can ask if a moderator/owner will give you guidance.

Boo

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 16:24 GMT (UK) »

As this question is specific to the rules on this site and its unlikely that the owners/moderators are able to read every single post, if you click on the 'report to moderator' link on your original post you can ask if a moderator/owner will give you guidance.

Boo

I think that is what is called "prior restraint" in the colonies - where it is banned.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 17:08 GMT (UK) »

I think that is what is called "prior restraint" in the colonies - where it is banned.

Its banned to ask a question via a recognised available route to those who will be able to give a definite answer? I am very surprised.

Boo

Offline MaecW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Yma o hyd
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 December 23 03:37 GMT (UK) »

Boo
[/quote]

[/quote]

What are these "colonies" to which you refer ? And what exactly do "they" ban ?
If you are referring to the various nation states that were once colonies they all have their own legislation, which do not necessarily follow the same rules as English law.
In any case, what is being discussed are the rules of this forum, not some legal requirement.
Baron (of Blackburn), Chadwick (Oswaldtwistle), Watkins (Swansea), Jones (x3 Swansea), Colton (Shropshire), Knight (Shropshire/Montgomery) , Bullen (Norfolk), White (Dorset)

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 December 23 04:12 GMT (UK) »
17. Breach or request the breach of privacy of persons who are or may be living

Rule 17 is routinely ignored when it comes to prominent public figures, including members of the royal family, politicians in various countries, sports stars, celebrity entertainers, literary figures and diverse scientists, artists and academic experts.  I have never seen any RootsChatter chastised for mentioning the name of a prince or a president, nor that of a popular singer, artist, footballer or scientist.  I don't see why the name of a living journalist or author should be redacted when he or she has put his or her name to a publicly available document specifically in order to take credit for its contents.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 December 23 05:48 GMT (UK) »
17. Breach or request the breach of privacy of persons who are or may be living

Rule 17 is routinely ignored when it comes to prominent public figures, including members of the royal family, politicians in various countries, sports stars, celebrity entertainers, literary figures and diverse scientists, artists and academic experts.  I have never seen any RootsChatter chastised for mentioning the name of a prince or a president, nor that of a popular singer, artist, footballer or scientist.  I don't see why the name of a living journalist or author should be redacted when he or she has put his or her name to a publicly available document specifically in order to take credit for its contents.

So, one is safe from a thunderbolt from the God-moderators?