Author Topic: Can One Name The Author(s) of Books/Publications/Newsarticles?  (Read 531 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can One Name The Author(s) of Books/Publications/Newsarticles?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 December 23 07:17 GMT (UK) »
"Breach or request the breach of privacy of persons who are or may be living"

is the point here. If you name a living author in the context of a book etc they have published should be all right. Since they have put it in the public domain.
But to reveal something more private about that person would not be.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can One Name The Author(s) of Books/Publications/Newsarticles?
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 December 23 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Over the years I have noticed that there seems to be a very strict interpretation of the rule against naming living persons. So what about referencing books or articles? Usually such a reference should include the author and year of publication. Is this banned on Rootschat?

Your question has me a wee bit puzzled.  May I ask why you think referencing books and articles here on RootsChat is banned? 

In the last 19 years, I have made reference on RootsChat a number of times to a particular book about English & Welsh registration certificates by Barbara Dixon.  (There also used to be a website but I think it is no longer available.)  I'm pretty certain that I gave the title as well as the author's name.  However, I don't think I gave the publication date.

In another post, I suggested someone should look at a particular publication (see here:
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=78993.msg329108#msg329108 - final line), gave both the author's name and the publisher, but again no date.

I have also quoted from The Dictionary of Genealogy but I confess I may have omitted the author's name  :-[

I'm fairly certain that many others have referred to books and articles both by title and author.  I would not remove such references. 

I hope that answers your question.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk